Monday, April 12, 2004

Yesterday was such a special Easter Sunday. The monologues were absolutely awesome. The music turned out great and Jack and Jill Maxwell's drawing was incredible! It looked like Jesus had his eyes closed until close to the end and when people raised their heads from the prayer, Jesus was looking at them. It was a neat effect. I felt really great about the whole day. I think God was glorified by our energies and I believe people were encouraged.

It is interesting, however, to sit in front of the congregation. If we all had a mirror in from of us, I wonder if our facial expressions would change. There were moments yesterday when my feelings about "church" and what we have done to it burdened my heart. Most people seemed genuinely engaged (I mean, how can you truly judge someone's heart as to what they are feeling on the inside?), but there were a good number of people who just had blank expressions. There were several times I thought--what are we doing here? What are THEY doing here? It needs to be said--these are not "seekers" or new Christians. These are people with outgoing, gregarious personalities who seemed to completely shut down during the celebration of the resurrection. It's a truly curious thing to me. As I said, only God knows hearts, but I wondered if there were those there who didn't know the Lord and saw them. I wondered what they must be thinking. ("Man--they don't even believe this stuff!")

Having said that, I think we all deal with resurrection in our own way. Clearly, we should fall to our knees in thanksgiving and awe. I just know that there have been different places and times on my journey when the joy came more naturally. Other times, it was a "sacrifice of praise". No matter what, whether we rejoice or sit stoically, Jesus did RISE! He is ALIVE! Not even death could keep Him down. If He can conquer death, surely He can change our hard hearts.

Please, O Lord, bring resurrection to Your Church. Please, O Father, reign down revival. Please, Holy Spirit, rekindle the flame that burns for You. Praise Your holy name!

No comments: