Friday, April 16, 2004

I finished reading A New Kind of Christian finally! It has given me so much food for thought. Brian McLarin is going to be our guest resource speaker at the ZOE conference here this fall. That should be really interesting. If any of you have read this book, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Reco, Amanda, Kyle, Sheryl and I are going to Huntsville, AL tonight to support our fellow life group member--Jody McBrayer as he sings with Avalon in concert. Jody just ain't right. No one should be able to sing like that. (Jody is the high tenor in Avalon.) It should be a really fun road trip. We made big posters in support of him (just kidding, Jody).

I am looking for margin in my life right now. Going through these past few weeks with Joe and hearing about the last few years of his life has really convicted me. Also--as I read through the book I mentioned, it convicted me too. I think true ministry has to be about relationships. How can ministers be in relationship like Jesus was with people and still "get everything done". Sometimes in my head I hear Jesus saying, "Martha, Martha, Martha!!!" Obviously, "things" have to get done, but I am honestly searching for ways to be less busy with "things" and more into the lives of people. My friend, Russ, reminded me while I stayed with them in Phoenix that I was like that even in college. Actually, I have been like that most of my life. I find myself consumed in busyness--mostly justifying it by choosing good things. I just want to find a better balance. I realize God made me a certain part of the body. I told Russ that sometimes I long to be the radius or ulna bone in the arm--steady, non moving, a foundation. Instead I feel more like the arm itself--flapping most of the time. I recognize that the "body part" God made me to be causes certain problems--just like anyone else. I just want to be faithful in the way I was created and allow God to continue to mold me into maturity in Him. Have I lost everyone?

I pray that if you're reading this today that you will feel the presence of the Lord with you. Right now I may be uncertain of many things. However, one thing that I am dead certain of is the love of Christ. He has sent us His Spirit. Amazing. We are living in the presence of God daily. What a gift! Lord, help us not take Your gifts for granted today. Let us draw near to You and feel Your nearness. Let us come to You with certainty of Your promises and of Your character. You are our Shepherd. Help us lay down in green pastures today.

No comments: