Sunday, April 25, 2004

This morning, the "Starbucks lady" overslept. I went by at my usual time and they were just getting there and said, "No coffee for at least 20 minutes." Ug!!! I got to Otter Creek and made myself a very strong pot of Starbucks coffee. (why is that it seems to taste different when you go to the store and pay like $25 for a venti????)

I put on a new CD I got this week of Tommy Walker (he also wrote "He Knows My Name"). There are a couple of songs on there that I have been singing all week. I think the titles are "I Run To You" and "Dwelling Place". I turned it up super loud and sat at the piano and played along with the chord chart and sang with Tommy Walker. It was a great way to wake up my heart and voice.

The team showed up and we began to rehearse. (Great team today!) Clarissa, Justin and Jenna were running through "Jesus, Lover of My Soul" which we were preparing for the invitation (had Clarissa start and added tenor and then alto and then the rest of the team on the chorus). As they were singing, I realized I hadn't seen the sound guy yet. I went out to make sure things were getting going--it was about 20 minutes till service time at this point. The sanctuary was dark, they were just beginning to set up and I knew we were going to be pressed. (Those of you who are in worship and music ministry are feeling that deep sense of understanding.) Thankfully, the praise team was really good today, so at least that wasn't a concern. We got the team in there to help set up. We couldn't figure out monitors, were missing some mic cords, and things were just harried. Our staff technology guy is out of town this weekend and things were just sort of nuts. It is amazing how much that can impact. Our projectors are being cleaned so we have these dinky little ones that barely put out enough light to be seen. It was just one of THOSE days. I hope it's encouraging to know that we all have them. It was second service before I could really catch my breath. (Actually, I think it was first service during "Jesus, Love of my Soul"--GORGEOUS!)

After church we went to eat at Pargo's. Maddie filled up on bread and wouldn't eat anything else. Once everyone got their meals, she wanted to roam the restaurant. We convinced her to stay seated--she was not happy. Sometimes I marvel at how parents manage getting kids in the car, to church, back in the car, out to eat, etc without killing them or ourselves. (I won't even mention Wednesday nights which begin around bed time.)

The girls are in bed, I am in shorts and a T-shirt, and the world is as it should be. :)

Tonight we are having our life group here. My friend, Russ Debenport, in Phoenix showed me something they had worked on called a "tree of faith". It was a tree he had drawn and on the limbs were written the names of people who had impacted his faith walk. I thought it was such a cool idea. Sheryl drew a tree like it last night and we copied it this morning so our life group members can each have one. The limbs are large enough to write names in different places. Once we all get them completed, we'll take the next few weeks/months to share our stories. This is a great way to talk about our faith with each other and share our testimonies. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks, Russ!

As I was looking for my link today to get to my blog, I stumbled across an old email from Joe Smith. It seems like he's still here. I keep expecting an email update from him. I know my mom always says Sundays are the hardest days to be without my dad. Guess there's something about the craziness of getting in the car, to church, back in the car, to eat and wherever--with your family-- that truly is beautiful. We all have a lot to be thankful for.

Lord, please be with those who feel a deep sense of loneliness today. Help us not take our families for granted. We experience so much love--we're simply spoiled. Thank you, Father. I miss Joe and my dad today. I'm so glad they're with You.




No comments: