Monday, April 26, 2004

Life group went well last night. We really didn't do anything major--just worshipped a little and then I handed out the "Spiritual Trees" and talked about what we are going to be doing with them. Paul and Jill will share theirs next week.

It's GMA (Gospel Music Association) week so Jason and Alisha and Jody and Stephanie McBrayer were tied up at the Ryman last night. It will be a busy week for many of us. My best friend/brother/best man Stephen Bailey is coming in on Wednesday. He is doing more and more worship leading--something he is so gifted at--and is coming to look through some material and music. I am really looking forward to him being here. I wish our families lived closer.

This morning we drove out to Crockett Park and took the jogging stroller. After some serious--SERIOUS--swinging and sliding at the playground, we were ready for our walk/jog/run. (Did anyone else have that class at ACU? I always thought that was such a hilarious name for a PE class.) We stopped along the way and the girls got in the Little Harpeth River with their swim shoes on. The water was freezing, but it was an absolutely gorgeous day.

Looks like we are singing at all 5 services at The Shepherd of the Hills Church. Anyone who lives in the L.A. area, please come and spend that Saturday night or Sunday with us. We would love to see you. Check out their website at www.theshepherd.org

Speaking of websites, our Otter Creek website has been up and running now for weeks and I keep forgetting to say something about it. Holly ROCKED in setting it up. Check it out too-- www.ottercreek.org

Here's a question. If the post modern movement is going to be characterized by cynicism, wouldn't it eventually collapse on itself? I mean--if deconstruction didn't actually lead to something except deconstruction, what does that really mean? I see there being such a HUGE benefit in deconstruction. We need to be asking why we're doing what we're doing. But, forgive me while I take that to the extreme. Here's a hypothetical example...if we say that the church as we know it doesn't work anymore so we decide to move to home churches. If a post modern is characterized by cynicism, wouldn't he or she come to decide in a matter of a short time that that didn't work either? Here's where I evoke my umbrella of grace. I wonder these things as I try and process and understand these new ideas. I haven't had time or maybe even the courage to share completely where I am with it all. I question constantly. I wonder if we're really making an impact for Jesus. I pray that the Lord will show me what a New Kind of Christian really is. I just pray for wisdom and discernment in these days.

It's funny--I consider myself a person who has always questioned authority including anyone who said things like, "We just do" when asked why we do something. I am always floored when people see me as a "company man". In my mind it's so far from where I feel my heart is. I think about Jesus saying to the Pharisees in the book of Matthew, "You come near to me with your lips, but your hearts are far from me." God has always wanted the core of us. Along the way His people asked for Kings, laws, and other things to help, but what God really wanted was US. To me, this defines my faith. No formula or system brings me to relationship with Jesus, only trying to really be in relationship with Him. And--to me-- that means trying to do the things I saw Him doing, trying to love people in a way I think He might, not being afraid to ask hard questions, and most importantly, trying to take up my cross and die to myself. I want more courage to spend time being intentional about relationships and being involved in the lives of people over worrying about where things are going. Ultimately, our lives and times are in the hand of Jehovah. That is one thing I do know.

No comments: