Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Last night we went to the Abigail Woodard's softball game. Maddie and Ella were so cute. Maddie had her little visor on and her purple and white pom-pom (go Cats!) and was such a little "Sportie Spice". Ella was having a blast just trying to eat rocks. It was so much better than my memories of playing little league. I didn't have a coach like Mike Cope. My coach was more like Bobby Knight. Lots of belittling and cursing. Nice for elementary aged kids, don't you think? Maybe that explains why I dropped baseball. Surely it's not because I lack athletic prowess. Surely.

I have referred to interpersonal turmoil in the office over the last few months. I am resolved not to write much about it because things like this are always better in retrospect. I know many of us who work with teams, whether it's in a church or not, go through seasons of difficulty and miscommunication. The human animal is a strange beast. God's patience with us astounds me.

We are preparing for our Saturday night service this week--asking the question, "what pleases God?" We've all heard a lot of answers to that question including being in the pew every time the doors are open, eating communion in exactly the right way, worshipping in exactly the right way, dressing the right way, going to the right church, etc. Interesting that Jesus responded by saying two things--love God and love others. Love God with all your being--heart, soul, mind, strength--offer Him more than lip service. Be transformed in the way we think and live and act. Love others. Who is my "neighbor"? Is it the religious guy--the faithful church goer--who was too busy with good things to be a neighbor? Who are the people we might have a prejudice against (like they had against the Samaritans) who are really acting like Jesus in our world today? Just a thought.

This afternoon I have a meeting in the village at Fido's with John Mays and Eric to talk through budgetary things regarding the next recording. I have written about my disdain for meetings. However, if there's gonna be a meeting--let's go someplace cool like Fido's! (It's this really weird, trendy coffee shop) Ahh--coffee!!

My brother, Stephen, comes in this afternoon. I am very excited about him being here. It's really the Lord's timing. Don't you love those friends who you've been through everything with and they still love you? That's grace in action right there. It will be great having him here.

Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine, Pepperdine! I can't sleep. Lots to do. Tues night at late night we'll be talking about peace, rest, etc--preparing our hearts for the week ahead. Thursday night at late night, we will concentrate on the wonder of Christ and the gift of redemption. Maybe this will help those of you who are coming know what to expect. I look forward to seeing people at Pepperdine. It's always a great week of fellowship and growth. Please pray for us as we prepare--for physical and spiritual strength. We are doing 2 late night programs, an early morning program, 3 classes and then 5 services at The Shepherd of the Hills Church over that weekend. Very slammed.

Father, I ask you for your eyes today. Help me see people like You do. Help me view conflict like You would. Help me see above the pressing needs of planning to the overall picture of what You want to accomplish. Please keep reminding me that You are in control--not me. Please bless Mike and John and others who are preparing to minister with us in California. Please, father, in the busyness of planning this week don't let me pass a beaten and bleeding person. Help me be a neighbor, a friend, a brother. Father--move in me. Breathe in me. Take the parts that aren't like You--so many--and transform them. You make me lie down in green pastures. You lead me beside still waters (whew! Conviction coming on!!!). You restore--You RESTORE my soul. Even in the valley of the shadow of death, You've told me not to be afraid. Where can I run from You, oh Lord? You go before me--You hem me in! Even the darkness is not dark to You! How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God--how vast the sum!! You are always with me. Praise Your most holy, holy name.

No comments: