Sunday, April 04, 2004

Spring Forward! Why is it that the time change this go around usually feels like a hard shove instead of a "spring"? All I know is that the bird outside my window that has been singing waaaaaaay too loudly at 5am these last few weeks didn't warm up until around 6 and I was already up! Isn't it sad to want to shoot a sweet little bird first thing in the morning? "tweedle tweedle tweet" (over and over and over and...)

My buddies at Starbucks this morning were certainly feeling the time change. Every time I see them I think of Sheryl working at Olive Garden and having to deal with "Sunday dressed Christians". I try and speak some word of encouragement, but at 6:30, there's usually not a lot to say. I usually get a laugh out of them one way or another though.

Last night went well. My favorite part of Saturday nights to date is still the stations. I love being able to go and meditate or do whatever exercise is planned. Last night the 4 stations looked like this:

1. The prayer station--you could go and be prayed over at any point during the service. Sheryl and I went back and Scott and Lisa Owings laid hands on us and prayed. There is just something so powerful about praying for each other. I constantly underestimate how rejuvenated that will make me feel.
2. Journaling station--last night the exercise was to write things that are uncertain in your life and then on the back to journal what God might have to say about those things--or how He would speak "light" into them.
3. Secret Sin--at this station you were to write things that you were harboring in your heart--deeds, attitudes, etc. on a piece of velum that was attached to another piece of paper. Then you were to hold it up to a light at the station and when you did you saw scriptures about light shine through the things you had written on the velum. Extremely cool.
4. The Supper--at the front there were a couple of people to receive those who wanted to take the Lord's supper. I love that. To me, that seems to get more at the point of "communion" anyway. Definitely one of my favorite things each time.

I find myself thinking a lot about my home church in Dallas (maybe today it's because that's how that church used to do communion every week). Lake Highlands is a quirky little place, but the lives and hearts of those people have impacted me so much over the last 15 years. If you're ever in Dallas, go visit. The preaching is completely real and challenging. Jim Reynolds talks about his own struggles as an attorney in Fort Worth. His real life struggles and desire to be Christ in the workplace come to life in his sermons. David and Donjalea Chrane are the worship coordinators and leaders. So many people know of them because of the power with which they lead and they authenticity they bring to ministry. That place is on fire. I am grateful for the way it still affects me--700 miles away.

This morning I sit here praying for our assemblies and asking God to show His face to us. I pray that we will get out of the way and let the Holy Spirit do his work. I pray that true ministry will happen. I pray that conviction, healing and restoration will occur. I pray that my heart will be sensitive to the Spirit's timing as I lead worship. AND--I pray that the praise team remembered to set their clocks ahead. AMEN!

No comments: