Monday, September 06, 2004

We had a great Labor Day. We spent most of it at the Maryland Farms YMCA's end of summer pool party. It was the perfect setting for our day. It always feels like a vacation when we go. They play great music, there are good snacks, lots of kids playing, and Ella and Maddie love the slide into the baby pool. Each of us is feeling a little tired from sun and play.

Our Life Group was possibly the best ever last night. We had a smaller group and we ended up having some extremely meaningful discussion about fears and worries. Maddie even shared with us the part of the 23rd Psalm--"even when I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I won't be afraid cause God is with me. His rod and staff, they comfort me." Good reminders!

I was reading tonight about King Nebuchadnezzar's mental illness--the confirmation of Daniel's prophetic dream. He came out of it finally proclaiming the glory of the Lord and saying, "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of Heaven, because everything He does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride He is able to humble."

I read this and trembled a bit. I don't want to ever be in a place that the Lord has to go to such great lengths to humble me (living like an animal, eating grass, etc--read Dan 4). I know how close I walk to that every single day. I am not immune to losing my way. I relate to Psalm 51 so often... "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your unfailing love!" I praise Him for His unending love. I am thankful that He is a Shepherd for me and promises me (John 10) that I will hear His voice and even be able to discern His voice from the voice of the enemy. I claim that promise.

As I prepare for my time of retreat and preparation for ZOE and the fall, I need that voice and the discernment He's promised. I leave Wednesday for Dallas.

On a lighter note, I spoke with Jeff Johnson today. He had great stories of the whole American Idol experience. Apparently, they are really playing up his whole ministry role. It will be interesting to see how it's portrayed on TV. Please be in prayer for Jeff. These are exciting, difficult, and weird times.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone.

2 comments:

JD said...

Always enjoy your thoughts. In our family, we are all AI freaks. We will definitely be watching and cheering your friend on!

Trusting the Shepherd's voice ... why are we so entranced by the lies of the Enemy ... when the heart of Jesus and his arms of love so perfectly meet our needs. It is hard to feel satisfied in our restless culture ... so satisfied that temptation rings hollow. The bells and whistles of temptation catch our attention so easily. I am so thankful for our Gentle Shepherd and long to hear his voice as well. I'm going to think about this some more.

Val said...

See you in N'ville for the conference. I am sharing a room w/ Ryan but will have a car. I also plan on going to see Shane and Leah. If you haven't heard, he will be in the movie on the life story of Johnny Cash with Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. He will play Cash's manager.