Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Sometimes creativity gets me in trouble. Sometimes it means I get a little too creative for people's comfort zones, but usually it just means that it creates more work for me in the long run. I've been so fired up about the leadership track of the conference this year. I think it will be the best yet.

We basically have 3 sessions together. Session one will begin with Kip Long and his youth praise team leading us in worship. We'll go on to talk about marriage and relationships in the context of ministry hearing from a couple spouses and my best friend who is a worship minister in TX and has gone through some very difficult stuff this year. We're going to spend some time afterwards writing a note to our mate or significant other. Then we'll split for small group time to discuss Brian McClarin's presentation that day.

Friday we will begin with Nino leading a time of worship with his guitar--something he is doing at Southlake, where he ministers. From there, Jeff Nelson and I will address some needs brought up in the email correspondence we've had with the worship leaders. It should be a time of real sharing and honesty. We'll have small group time again and talk about McClarin's presentation.

That afternoon, and here's where I've gotten myself in trouble, we are going to talk Emergent Church stuff. As I thought more about talking about Emergent stuff. I thought, why talk about it when we could just have an emergent service like we've done at OC? What a great idea--last week! I'm kidding--it's still an energizing idea. It's just consumed my prep time for the last week. I am really pumped about it though! I will lead, JV will play keys, TJ (whom I blogged about last week) will sing and play guitar and Amanda will sing too. We've got a team of folks who help make those services happen here working to help me pull this off. Lee Camp, one of our OC members and author of Mere Discipleship, will share a little. Scott Owings, my dear brother and staff mate, will also help guide thoughts. We will have several different stations representing the desert, desperation, renewal, and community. I am really pumped about it! This picture was taken at one of our emergent services.

I know it will be a real stretch for some. However, we can't really talk about being an emerging church without providing a laboratory for people to see what kinds of services we're talking about. Jesus brought the Word to life. He was the Word made flesh. He was a story teller. Can you imagine if he never told a story, or never talked in metaphor? Can you imagine if he were only 2 dimensional? These services try to take the Word and bring it to life. Instead of just hearing a sermon, it attempts to bring fresh life to the message through meditation, experience, spiritual exercises, and community.

Please pray about that for me. I want it to be a rich experience for those present. I want it to be a time of ministry without people getting hung up in the way things are done. Hopefully, by that time in the week, people will have heard some convicting things from Brian and be more open. Would you just pray for open hearts and for Godly discernment for me? Thanks!

I've already written too much. I need to go back and hit it hard. Lots left to do. Last night we had wonderful fajita quesadillas at a Mexican food place near our house and then went to the playground for some fun and frolic. It was so great. Sheryl and I met another couple there who go to West End Community Church. We know some of the same people and had the most encouraging conversation with these "strangers". Isn't family wonderful? We share the blood of Christ. It was amazing how close we felt to these people.

God is good. I imagine we'll be saying that a lot this week. Have a great Tuesday!

4 comments:

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

by the way, blog family...Clarissa will have a table set up about blogs. AND--there will be a table of bloggers at breakfast on Saturday morning. That's where we can all meet and enjoy being together. See you soon. Stephanie--was thinking of making a life-sized cut out of you to sit at the table. But again..that's where creativity would cause a panic attack. NO PANIC ATTACKS!

SG said...

This sounds like a mini class reunion! And a blog table at breakfast to boot! Wouldn't you know that Saturday AM I will be in full retreat mode and no where near a computer or net connection! I can't even blog with you guys. This stinks! I would send a life size cut-out with Jim Hahn but they probably wouldn't allow that on the plane.

And about creativity getting you in trouble... Here I sit making daisies etc. for the ladies retreat. They are purely for decoration and have taken my every spare moment this week. Every time the retreat committee meets, someone reminds me that before I came along there were no decorations.... Do you think I should take that as a hint? Mine is probably the only living room and garage in Waco that looks like a paper florist exploded inside. The price of creativity!

I'll be thinking about all you guys this weekend! BST~ I know you will be able to pull it together as you always do...with help from above of course! Remember WHO gave you that creativity... He will honor your request to use it for Him! Blessings!

Tim Castle said...

I still want to know where you can get "wonderful" Mexican food in Nashville! I might have to get a fix while I'm there!

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Dwiggy444 said...

Brandon -

You and the whole ZOE team are constantly in my thoughts this week as I prepare for the trip to Nashville. I've been getting more and more excited each day, eagerly anticipating what God will do to me and say to me while I'm there. As I said in my email to you last week, I'm coming to Nashville with an empty tank this year and counting on God to fill me to overflowing. And as I read your description of the leadership track just now, all I could think was "God is working through Brandon right now to provide for me." Even though I know that everyone will love what you're planning to do, it honestly sounds like you're planning a weekend specially designed just for me. :-) Is it Thursday yet???

May God richly bless you and everyone else who is pouring themselves into planning and preparations. May He bring you peace of mind, clarity of purpose and boundless energy as you strive to provide the most excellent experience possible. And may He work in mighty ways in all those who are coming, preparing us to hear His Word and bathe in His Spirit as we worship at His feet.

See you SOOON!!!