Wednesday, September 22, 2004

I have mentioned that the countdown for the ZOE conference is running me like a mad man. I hear the theme music to Jeopardy being played in my head at almost every hour. The theme this year is Desperate. Some of what we'll be talking about is what leads us to desperation. I think I can relate, how about you?

I don't want to give too much away, but Saturday night we'll be talking some about home--and Heaven. We're putting together a video of pictures of those close to us who have gone to be with the Lord. My dad, Megan Cope, Joe Smith, Janet Kidd and others. Last night I was searching for pictures of Dad trying to get ready to hand them over to Randy Brewer today. I found myself talking out loud to him. As I poured over the last 13 years, I kept saying, "It seems so weird that you missed that, Dad". Pictures of my wedding, of my college graduation, pictures of my years of performing at Six Flags, Norwegian Cruise Line, and doing Theater in Dallas...the birth of my children, Nashville...the list goes on and on. It hit me how long he's really been gone. I know this may sound weird, but there's a little part of me that feels like it just got put on pause 13 years ago. It's like I entered this strange alternate universe where life really does go on and you learn to live without someone so dear to you. If you've ever lost a parent, a spouse, a sibling, or a child you know what I mean. Close friends are hard too, but it's different. I've lost close friends, every grandparent, cousins, aunts and uncles and still...nothing has impacted me like the loss of my father. Holidays weren't really the same. Christmas always felt forced. Father's Day was a day I liked to skip and maybe go somewhere on vacation. October 13 (he died late that night) and January 13 (his birthday) are days that are still hard.

Then came my kids. I remember being in the hospital waiting on Maddie to be born. I HATED HOSPITALS. I had certainly spent enough time in them. That birth changed my whole perspective! It was so joyous! Everyone there was exchanging smiles and hugs. Redemption! Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving, FATHER'S DAY--all of these were suddenly resurrected. The shell became filled with joyfilled life again. How exciting! Family means so much to me. Without Sheryl, the girls, and my mom I'd be half the man I am today. I remember a good intentioned relative saying something to me at my father's burial... "I hope one day you can become half the man your father was." Honestly, she meant it to be encouraging...although it sure wasn't at the time. The thing is...my dad was the man he was only because he loved Jesus. If that's the key, then maybe that will happen for me too.

As I talked to him last night--something I haven't done in a very long time-- I found myself holding back sobs. I found myself saying the things I have said more times than I can count over the last 13 years. "I miss you. It's not fair. I wish you knew Sheryl. I wish you knew your grandkids. Thank you for loving me so much." It was a good thing to be able to express.

I know this is long, but I wanted to share a couple of pictures I found last night as I searched. One in particular will show you his true character--that he was a CHARACTER! Dad--I know you're up there playing pranks on the angels. Keep it up!




6 comments:

Clarissa said...

Wiping away the tears. Those of us who have lost a parent whom we loved deeply all have those occasional conversations with them, I think. Thinking of you. Noticing a strong resemblance between Maddie and your dad!

Jenni said...

Thanks for making my cry as I sit here at my desk at work!! Clearing my throat now, wiping away the tears from my eyes......Brandon it is so great to hear the love for your father in your words. I absolutely cannot imagine what it would be like to lose my daddy. I know you miss him and anything I can say would simply sound trite. I think you are well on your way to being the man after God's own heart that it sounds like he was! Keep it up!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Clarissa--WOW, that's so cool that you think that! I ahve always said that. There are times that it's like seeing a ghost. Maddie will smile and I will just turn white. It's so cool and wierd all at the same time. Thanks for noticing!

SG said...

I just got this mascara on! Wow! Your Dad is still such a part of you. He always will be. Bless you for sharing your pain and gradual healing. God is so apparent in your life. Thanks for sharing this!

RD said...

Brandon,
Home! What a great vision. I have been contemplating "home" a lot lately. What keeps coming to mind is that I miss Jesus. Man, I miss him - I want to see him, face to face. May our memories of saints who have gone ahead of us, remind us that we will see Jesus soon.
-Russ

Anonymous said...

Brandon, I just posted about your Alumni honor, and started reading your blog and came across this about your day, and I have to share a story with you that I have never shared. I'm not sure why I have never talked about it, because I litterally think about it so frequently, to this very day. When we were at ACU, it was a difficult time for me on many levels and an amazingly wonderful time on many levels. But one of the not so amazing times I was walking through campus, thinking, crying, praying, obsessing... you know, the usual. It was somewhat late, I was alone, and this man walked past me and stopped me and said something along the lines of "be sad for a while if you want, but don't forget the joy of the Lord" I must have looked at him like he was crazy. I had no idea who he was. I stood there wondering who this crazy man was that was intruding on my self pity. HOW RUDE!
He came up to me and said he didn't want to know what the issue/problem was, but just wanted to remind me that to find the joy of the Lord you just have to look around and it will show itself, but that I had to be open to seeing it or I would miss it. I didn't say a word, all I could do was stare at him. He told me he hoped I had a good night and started to walk away. Then he turned around and said, "oh and by the way...." he was reaching in his coat pocket and pulled out this yellow plasic thing, pointed it at me and squeezed it. Now, I saw a yellow something coming out of it and instantly thought he was spraying me with mustered! I screamed and ducked, but he had the mustered bottle rigged with yellow yarn to freak people out (and it worked). I looked up, and with a TOTALLY straight face said, "He thinks its ok to laugh too", pointing up to the sky. Then he just walked away.
I sat there STUNNED for a while, then I just started laughing. I stood there in the middle of campus, by myself, tears still in my eyes, laughing so hard I snorted (you may remember the snort laugh I have).
Anyway, I didn't know he was your dad until he got sick and then I just didn't know if I should tell you. But anyway, he made a change in me, and I know you are doing the same thing daily with your ministry. So if you are striving to be half the man he was, I think you probably have made it. Time to set your sights higher. I am sure your parents, like most, wanted their kids to fly higher than they flew. Your mom and dad should be proud that they achieved such a worthy goal.
Now go squirt someone with yellow yarn!!
Love you buddy!