Wednesday, September 08, 2004

"O Dear Christian College We Love Thee..."


How many times have I sung those words? I think at one point growing up I was convinced it was a hymn in the hymnal. Growing up in Abilene had many benefits. It's a great city to enjoy community and family. The arts are alive and well. The Church is strong and full of excitement--well, most places. I have great memories of Abilene.

From my earliest memory I wanted to go to ACU, except for the brief flirting with Berklee School of Music. I had a wonderful experience. Some of my closest friends are still those I made while in school there. My parents both went there and my mom taught there. Purple and White runs deep.

This morning I got a call from President Royce Money telling me that I have been named the Young Alumnus of the Year. I think he thought I wasn't impressed because he began to list others who have been named that honor like Max Lucado and at least one NFL player. I told him that I was completely in shock and speechless. I know...it's a rarity. I just can't believe that I am even old enough or qualified. However, one of my co-ministers pointed out that I should be glad the title has "young" in it. Thanks, Lee Ann.

I just wanted to share my cool news today with you, blog family. I have all sorts of feelings about it, but mostly, I am just shocked.

I was reading in Job last night about his troubles and while I know much of it is written like poetry and there is a lot of symbolism, I have always struggled with that book. It has been such a source of comfort to me at times and such a stumbling block at others. I can relate to almost every character in some way. This time reading I was left with a feeling of panic. This, I realize, is not from the Lord. I just thought, O Lord, please don't point me out to Satan. Please don't test me like that. Maybe I should pray for testing, I don't know. But I have been down that road and it's not much fun. Left to my own devices, I am pretty worthless. The only--ONLY--worth in me is found in Jesus Christ. Titles like the one I mentioned today are so amazing and make me feel so overwhelmed, but I just want to say--HEY--in case you haven't noticed, I'm not anything to be proud of...unless you're talking about Christ working in me. I've made DUMB mistakes. I've failed miserably. I've stared sin in the face and given in. I am nothing without Christ. How's that for an acceptance speech? Probably not what they're looking for. But--it's true. I have some accomplishments to put on paper--some achievements that seem cool. But, what if we were all known by our heart instead of accomplishments? I just want to be able to find worth there instead of anything I've done over the last 12 years (geez, 12 years???).

I want Jesus. I want to know Him. I want to embrace His radical upside down life. I want to love like He did. The cool thing is...I can't even do that in my own strength. Phil. 2:13 says "for it is God--GOD--who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose." I remember reading that and having an "ah-ha" moment. I can't even work to please God. It's HIS presence in me that works to bring me into His will. It's really ALL about Him.

I leave this afternoon for Dallas. I covet your prayers for this trip. Please also pray for Sheryl. We're preparing to move into a hotel for the next week while our house gets fixed from the fire. Woo-hoo!

Thanks for letting me ramble a bit. I am thankful for you all. Have a blessed week.

10 comments:

Jenni said...

Congrats! You know, your entire post exemplifies what ACU is trying to do in honoring you. Your servant heart, humility, desire to love, willingness to be molded, transparency in imperfections ..... all traits that I believe glorifies the God that you serve every day. You (and your ZOE team) are helping so many others to find, accept, love and follow Him too. Accept the honor, thank ACU for it, continue to be astonished and amazed that God is using you this way and continue to give Him all the glory (as if you would do anything less..... )

Enjoy your trip back to the Lone Star State!

Matt Elliott said...

Congratulations. I'm still holding out for being named Freed-Hardeman Young/Middle-Aged/Cranky-Old-Flake Alumnus of the Year, but I'll have wait a few more lifetimes. Especially considering what I blogged about today. Anyway, enjoy your reign. Do they give prizes for that? Cash? Gift certificates -- perhaps to the Abilene Barnes & Noble? :-)

Jennifer said...

Woohoo! You totally deserve it. A call from Royce...what could be cooler than that? Not a whole lot, except for maybe the fact that you're Young Alumnus of the year. Does that say something about where ACU is going? Max as Outstanding Alumnus last year and you as Outstanding Young Alumnus this year. How great! :)

Anonymous said...

Do you think they can airbrush out your cartilidge piercing for your picture on the cover of ACU Today?? Ha,ha,ha....Congratulations!!!

John Owens said...

Congratulations, Brandon. I have always respected your work with Zoe. Now, through this Blog, I'm really growing in great respect for who you really are as a disciple of Christ. And no one could ever doubt the sincerity of your humility. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw it. You write about your desire to be known as no one other than who Christ is in you. Then you put the great exclamation mark of your family moving into a hotel while the fire damage is repaired. LOL. Great stuff. You proved in this one post what is undeniably true. We are all DORKS on our own, and desperately need the power and presence of Christ in our lives. And I can say that, because I'm QUITE a dork myself. Thanks, bro for the post. And again, congrats on a great honor.

SG said...

and to think I knew you when....
Congrats again! This award honors not only you but your minisrty. Everyone at OC and Zoe can share in this. Too cool! Can't wait to see you!

JD said...

Wow! That's a great honor! I will add my congratulations to you as well. Keep pointing us all to Jesus ... it's easy to be distracted sometimes.

RPorche said...

Congratulations, Brandon! Happy for you, thankful for you, praying for you.

judy thomas said...

Congratulations, Babe. I am bursting my buttons. I know Dad would have been so happy. Thanks to the ACU Alumni Board.

judy thomas said...

Congratulations, Babe. I am bursting my buttons. I know Dad would have been so happy. Thanks to the ACU Alumni Board.