Wednesday, September 01, 2004


Here's a picture of me with the Nelson's children--Christopher and Nataleigh. It was so fun to see them in San Antonio last week. This picture was taken at Mamasita's. I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD!

We had a great dinner at the Chaudoin's last night. Judson was so sweet to the girls and shared his toys. It was nice to get to know them better.

My mom's house is really coming along. It's so hard to believe she'll be here in December!! Here are a couple of pictures...


I led worship at the Lipscomb University chapel this morning. What a blessing! The kids were really engaged and it was a completely different feeling than it used to be several years ago. The first time I went to chapel at Lipscomb I was incredibly disappointed. After my ACU chapel experiences, it seemed really lifeless. Things seem to be changing for the better.

I had lunch with Ryan Porche today. Ryan is an Abilene guy who just graduated from ACU and is the new worship minister at the Highland Street Church of Christ in Memphis. It was great to see him and hear about his plans and dreams. It seems weird that I am old enough to say that I have known him since he was a little boy, but I have. God created a passion inside him for worship at an early age and here he is following that calling and ready to set the world on fire for Jesus. Too cool!


Tonight we begin our new Wednesday night service--name not yet known. It's going to be a combination of what we did on Saturday nights last year and Wednesday nights this summer...sort of a contemplative, emergent style gathering. Tonight, TJ McCloud is leading worship and playing guitar and Amanda is joining him. It will be so awesome to just be able to soak it in without any leadership responsibilities. I can't wait!

I'll close with this--Ryan told me a story today of a recent elders' meeting at Highland in Abilene (home church to both of us). A woman facing surgery came in to the meeting to be prayed over and Stormy Higgins poured the anointing oil in the woman's hands and said, "See how this oil is covering your hand--every wrinkle and crevice? It is soaking into your skin. Jesus is closer to you than even this oil. He is encompassing you even now."

What a great thought for us! As we run the race today, let's remember that Jesus is covering us and speaking His will into our lives. He is the good Shepherd and promises that we will hear his voice (John 10). Speak, Lord!

3 comments:

SG said...

Ryan Porche is supposed to be 13 and playing ball next door mith Matt Cope! Who told these guys they could grow up? AHHH time! Where does it all go?

Jenni said...

Yeah, I actually babysat Ryan for a few years when we first moved to Abilene and over the years my parents have become very close with Dickie & Becky. I'm going to miss getting to see him when I am home for a visit. I tried to get him to come to Dallas and be our new worship minister at PRCC (since Murray left us! :-), but the timing just wasn't right. I know he'll do a great job in Memphis. Thanks Brandon, for being a mentor for Ryan and so many others who have a passion for worship leading.

SG said...

The oil thing is just incredible! What a visual. Thanks for sharing it!