Sunday, September 12, 2004

Back to work! My alarm went off around 5:50 this morning and I could not imagine why I had set the alarm to go off in, what clearly seemed, the middle of the night. My goodness. Why is it so dark at 6am these days?

It was so great to see the girls. They were both very huggy when I got home. I love that! It was so good to see Sheryl too. I know it will be nice for her to escape town next weekend for Emily's wedding in Dallas. She deserves the break.

This morning we are launching our huge Reach Campaign for the new building.

It is a big day in the life of Otter Creek. As with any big day wrought with major decisions, it has been bathed in prayer and I am feeling completely in need of God's continued leadership in all this. The truth is, we need to do something. This building is falling apart, there's not nearly enough nursery space or classroom space, and parking completely stinks. I guess, the prevailing question is what. The leadership of our church has prayed and prayed about what to do and they all feel this is the direction. Along the path I've walked these last 12 months, I'm still not sure the church building is the answer. However, I think it's probably the best option for us right now. Creeeeeeamed corn anyone?

This afternoon I am going out to the airport to pick up my buddy who sings the lead in the Tarzan show at Disney's Animal Kingdom. He's coming in to audition for Cirque du Soleil. They are holding auditions here in Nashville, but I think the show is based out of Vegas.

The rest of the day will be spent trying to prepare to live in the extended stay hotel this week while our kitchen and hard wood floors are fixed from the fire. It should be an interesting experience. Sheryl is looking at it like a vacation. She has a great way of putting things in a positive perspective.

Lord, You are good. I am not worthy of Your love or of leading worship to You. I'm just not. Only by the blood of Jesus can I stand and proclaim boldy who You are. I pray that today, Lord, we would be immersed in your presence. Speak to us. Keep us from distraction. Thank you for all You give. You are our Shepherd. We are listening.

6 comments:

CL said...

Brandon,
We will be praying fot the campaign, the funny thing is we are getting ready to launch or own campaign for similar reasons next Sunday at Port City. God bless you guys in this journey.

Oh funny thing - (to us anyway) when we visited last sunday we parked in the Granny White Market parking lot. Praying for the future there!

Val said...

If that's the same guy who was there in November,he's good. That Tarzan show is huge- probably the biggest seating capacity for any of the shows at any of the parks and very well-done.

Phil said...

I've posted some of my thoughts about Otter Creek's new building campaign on my blog at www.highlandbridge.com/blogger.html

Clarissa said...

Creamed corn. But for me, personally, I'm so thankful that this whole process has not been entirely focused on the self-indulgent desires of people. Every attempt has been made by our leadership to determine God's will, it seems to me. Does that mean they have a clear understanding of His will? Not necessarily. But God designed this plan of how churchs are to function. He also designed leadership and submission, and we can either prayerfully, peacefully "ride the waves" (that doesn't mean silently, just without selfish contention) or constantly disagree and force our own agendas and live in misery. Aside from those things, the only other option I see would be to leave. I'm not going anywhere -- this church has become my family over the last 5 years since we moved to Nashville. This is home, unless we ever move away. Okay, rambling now. Just trust that even if God's will is being misinterpreted, He is powerful enough to use us, in all of our failings, to accomplish His will and to bring Him glory from any location ...

SG said...

Never having set foot in OC. I am not at all sure of all that is invloved here. This may not be a popular statement. When it comes to new church buildings does God really get as hung up on all this as we do? In the past 10 years I have not heard of a church that did not have major fall out from building a new building. Why?
When our family grew and we needed (or wanted) some more space, we asked God to help us find the right house. I believe He did. But I'm not sure God is really that concerned with my address. I think he cares more about what happens in the house and the hearts of the people who live here. Same with churches. If you need a new building and the money is there, why would God not honor your move? Wether it is downtown or out in the burbs..there are seekers everywhere! New buildings are just that new buildings. Thanks for letting me get that out!

Keith Brenton said...

Brandon, I just read an article in Christianity Today online in which Larry Crabb relates an incident of a minister realizing that a new building campaign is okay as long as it is a "second thing" -- but I'll let him tell it: American Idols. It's worth a read, and thanks for your good thoughts!