Thursday, September 02, 2004

I never mentioned what happened with the pictorial directory shots last week. Well, the short of it is, we never got to have ours made. (we weren't the only ones either) If your church is considering having a pictorial directory--call us first before choosing who to sponsor the event! We think this picture is what we want to go in the directory since we didn't get an official one. What do you think?


OK--so who all saw Zell Miller last night??

Whoa! Dude-this guy should be a gospel preacher. He was gettin' after it last night. I have refrained from saying much about the convention. I don't really want to take this whole thing down the political discussion road. However, it's certainly important to us. We have to be concerned with how we are behaving as a nation and as people who live here. I, personally, like W. I agreed with what Zell (what a great name) said last night about him... "I have knocked on the door of his soul and found someone home." I think that says it all. W's certainly had a rough term. I am so thankful that God put him in place for those days. I pray that God will guide us as we look to the future. I just couldn't get over last night. It was really wild! I kept saying "WHOA!" out loud. What a powerful presentation by ol' brother Zell.

More importantly, last night's service went really well. TJ and Amanda did a great job. Everyone did! I loved hearing Eve read scripture. I loved the silent meditation time. It really was a filling experience. I am thankful that our shepherd encourage these types of gatherings.

Tonight at 9pm, Sanctuary will start back up. Sanctuary is a gathering of college students at Otter Creek. (sort of like Grace in Abilene) The worship band is all made of college students and it is completely student led. I am glad they are here and when I have been able to go, I have been very encouraged by their passionate worship for the Lord.

Sheryl and I have a date night planned. Amanda is watching the girls--THANKS ABM! We are going to this cool place down off Music Row that has only appetizers. It's supposed to be very tasty!

I'm getting really excited about my trip back to Texas next week for my planning/spiritual retreat. I'm even getting to stay with Rob and Stephanie (Elliott) Grosz on Wednesday night in Waco. I'm stopping off there on my way to Groesbeck. I plan to spend some time at the cemetery on Thursday.

Have a great day, everyone!

16 comments:

Jeff said...

I agree with you about W and old brother Zell. One of my favorite parts of his speech was when he said:

"Never in the history of the world has any soldier sacrificed more for the freedom and liberty of total strangers than the American soldier. And, our soldiers don't just give freedom abroad, they preserve it for us here at home.

For it has been said so truthfully that it is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the agitator, who has given us the freedom to protest.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, who gives that protester the freedom to abuse and burn that flag."

During a quiet part of his speech I faintly heard someone in the crowd say "Preach it Brother Zell!"

Keep the Faith!

Jeff

Jeff said...

BTW: Nice picture. You have a great-looking family!

Jeff

Val said...

Did you see Zell on Hardball w/ Chris Matthews. It was the best interview I have ever seen. He was all over Matthews. It was hilarious.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

no---tell us what happened

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

ok--since we're going down that road anyway, anyone have any thoughts on Miller's comments vs. McCain? Personally, and I hate to even go here, McCain seemed more balanced to me. Can we really say that democrats are not patriotic? Can we honestly say they don't care for America? Not sure. What does it mean to care for America and do the Republicans really care for America? Not saying the pledge, whether we burn the flag, or things like that. Does either aprty truly care for Americans and the people of other nations? Are we more concerned for ourselves than our neighbor? (I have some feelings on all this--just presenting them for discussion) Is it possible to really ahve a president or leader who can rise above the system and the rhetoric? Has anyone heard Tony Compolo talk on these things.

c said...

Zell pretty such told Chris Matthews that he wanted to shoot him. He mentioned something about a duel and said that he (Zell) would not bagger him (Chris) like Chris did to some lady the night before. He definitely appeared as a rough "paw-paw" who chase a kid if he found him in his yard picking tomatoes from the vine. His line about "spitballs" was quite funny.

I don't agree with the Iraq war, and killing others for our own safety. (war of terror using terror. what about the war on poverty, isn't that terror too) Jesus wasn't about killing, but peace and I know we try and be peaceful but I just can't come to believe God is proud to "be an American" and only found "under one nation." With all that said, from what I can tell, W is a compassionate person who has been through the ringer. He is no "girley-man" thats for sure.

c said...

I urge everyone to read Mere Discipleship by Lipscomb's finest, Lee Camp. He makes a dern good arguement. Here is a question is posed: If Israel never protested God to have a king, what would things look like today?

Donna G said...

I LOVED this speech. Had I been un-decided earlier I would have chosen sides right then. There is something attractive about the TRUTH. Go Zell!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Clark--
Amen to these statements--
"Jesus wasn't about killing, but peace and I know we try and be peaceful but I just can't come to believe God is proud to "be an American" and only found "under one nation."

I also recommend Lee's book. WHEW! Powerful!

Phil said...

Stuff like last night is why I don't watch the conventions. I'd rather watch the debates.

Anonymous said...

Who is that "Val" guy? I think he is that guy from Harding Academy who looks like Ferris Bueller.

Val said...

You a cop?

Anonymous said...

Except for slavery, tyrrany, ethnic cleansing, genocide, religious persecution and a host of other trivial matters, war never solved anything.

Val said...

Um... Is that a "yes" or a "no?"

Anonymous said...

Badges?

Kester Smith... said...

Maybe we were watching two different speeches. I'm glad Zell Miller isn't a preacher, at least not anywhere where non-believers might walk in. He doesn't seem like a guy who does mercy well. All I kept thinking was "this guy is so ANGRY". Not righteous indignation either, but real wrath. And his time with Matthews later didn't have me laughing. Saying he wished we lived in a time where you could challenge someone to a duel. Insinuating in his speech that God somehow cares more for us than he does the rest of the world. Just about calling the Democrats traitors because they criticize the President. What are they supposed to do? This is an election year. I thought it was very strange. I don't see how Zell helped the Republican cause except by bringing in the hardcore base who consider disagreement unpatriotic. Give me McCain anyday. Even his criticism of Moore was said with a smile and a wave to Moore. Not that he wasn't sincere, but he wasn't hateful. He strikes me as one of the most balanced and classiest men that the Republican party (or any party) has to offer. Zell Miller strikes me (and this is just going by his speech, I'm not looking to make lasting judgements on his character) as a hateful and vindictive man.