Saturday, September 30, 2006

There's a popular worship song that we sing with ZOE called "Be Unto Your Name" by Lynn DeShazo and Gary Sadler (the man). The first verse goes like this...

We are a moment, You are forever
Lord of the ages, God before time
We are a vapor, You are eternal
Love everlasting, reigning on high


Today Sheryl's brother, David, lost his battle with cancer. He died around noon. We got word this afternoon from Sheryl's mom. It's been a hard battle these last couple of months. But, as in all of his life, David did not quit fighting. The doctors said about 6 weeks ago that he wouldn't make it through the week. David fought. We got to see him over Labor Day weekend along with some of Sheryl's other siblings. He looked so tired, so sick, so not himself. Today he is free from cancer.

We are the broken, You are the Healer
Jesus, Redeemer, mighty to save
You are the love song we'll sing forever
Bowing before You, blessing Your name!

Holy, holy, Lord God Almighty!
Worthy is the Lamb who was slain!
Highest praises, honor and glory
Be unto Your name
Be unto Your name
Be unto Your name.

12 comments:

Beth P said...

My prayers are with you, Sheryl as you and your family grieve this loss. Love to you, Brandon and the girls! Beth Plemons

Clarissa said...

I am so very sorry. Thinking of you all.

Katherine said...

My heart goes out to your whole family in this difficult time. May He bring peace and comfort to everyone. What a beautiful song-it is one of my favs...

Blessings~

Elizabeth S said...

I will be praying for Sheryl and you and your family. Love you. Elizabeth Shirley

Peggy N Texas said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my brother many years ago, but I know the feeling of losing a sibling. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Tim Castle said...

As always, you, Sheryl, and your family are in my prayers. May God show His compassion through the people around you all over the coming days and weeks and months.

Hoots Musings said...

I love that song, and I sing it in my heart all week...it brings great comfort because the words say it all.
Blessings and comfort to Cheryl and her family at this time of loss.

Christy said...

I pray for safe travel and blessingd of healing on the family. That song is one of my favorites too--very healing if you are in a broken place.

Kelly Vaughn said...

Expressing our sympathies to you, Sheryl and all the family. That song is a wonderul worship song perfect for today.
-Randy

Drew Battistelli said...

May God's peace be among you and may the family find hope and comfort in God's promises.

Kelley said...

I like you Brandon am an only child. And my spouse's brother passed away from cancer 10 years ago. It's difficult understanding that sibling bond when you have never had an actual sibling. I know as "only children" we get very attached to close friends, but I know it can't be the same as sharing the same parents. My love to you and Sheryl as you walk this road.
My oldest son was 4 when my brother-in-law died. We talked about Uncle Doug's trip to heaven and the fact that he is waiting there for the rest of us to join him one day when God decides it's time. Talking about a trip made the explanation make sense to my 4 year old. He understood going somewhere on a trip.
Looking forward to seeing you guys at Zoe. Be blessed.
Kelley

Val said...

The theft of health is merely the vehicle that cancer uses to steal one's spirit. In that sense, I doubt David lost his battle with cancer. In fact, just like Sam, I suspect he won hands down. At least that's how I think about it. Our prayers are with y'all.