Friday, September 22, 2006

First things first...
We had dinner at Phillip and Mary Alice Duncan's house last night. Mary Alice is the queen of lasagna. WOW! I think I had 5 helpings. How humiliating! And then we had this awesome Oreo pie (at first I thought she said Oriental pie, then I heard burrito pie...both of which were scaring me a bit.) The Oreo pie was also out of this world! Mary Alice, you ROCK!!! Such sweet friends!

I pulled into work this morning and there were hundreds of people in the parking lot. Apparently it's Brentwood High School's homecoming and the parade begins from our parking lot. There were floats, cheerleaders, the band, cars with homecoming queen nominees, etc. It reminded me of the ACU homecoming parade.

We LOVE getting to go back for ACU homecoming. The parade is always AWESOME! The floats are always so cool! The kids always love watching. I'm sad that we won't be there this year. But...next year is a reunion year for me so I will be there.

I remember Gamma Sig Homecoming breakfasts at ACU. Having to wake up at 3:30 or 4:00 am as a pledge to get things ready. Having to wake up at 5:30 as a member and even now to attend. (I promised myself I wouldn't go back...if I want to throw biscuits at someone I can do that at home. For free.) I noticed in the ACU Homecoming program that the Knights are having a reunion meal at 10:30am or something. Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about. Maybe if the time changed I'd reconsider going. Gamma Sigs...maybe next year?

It made me think about homecoming stuff from high school too. Mums...such a bizarre Texas thing. I remember girls wearing mums that basically took over their bodies like a giant spider. Mums with cow bells, mums with gold footballs hanging, mums with teddy bears, mums with cheerleader dolls, mums with megaphones, mums with just about anything you can imagine. I think some of them had to actually be strapped on or they'd have ripped the shirt they were pinned to. Then...the guys started. Garters. Garters with footballs, garters with numerous other symbols.

It also reminded me of Junior High (which is what it was back in my day...not "middle school"). Remember paying 50 cents for a "ribbon"? They had the slogan of the week and the colors. I still have some.

All that to say, fall is certainly here. It brings a nice spell of cool weather (it was in the lower 50's here last night). It also brings nice fall colors and lots of memories. Hope you enjoy your weekend. Friday night football, anyone?

8 comments:

Mary Alice said...

I have officially arrived.

I got an honorable mention which is, as you know, the sole reason I made the lasagna. =)

We had a great time with you guys - all 5 of you!

Katey said...

Um, yes Amy they do. I cried over a huge hole in a sweater one year because the wind caught my mum and almost took me with it. And, I'm glad to know that all the cars around church this morning was for BHS Homecoming, because I got really confused as I was driving to work too.

Rick J said...

Hmmm... wonder if there are any British folks reading who are really confused about wearing one's mum on a sweater.

Hoots Musings said...

I am so old that I actually remember my homecoming mum from Coronado High School in Lubbock, Texas. The mum was golden in color with a pipe cleaner C in the middle and ribbons. It was the size of a regular corsage and did not cover my entire torso.

I do remember my date, he was a star on the tennis team and a real hunk!

Beaner said...

Once again proving that Texas is another COUNTRY!!! Mums? Eew! They're pretty, but they stink (although probably a little bit better than cattle) ;)

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

As a fellow Gamma Sig, I've also enjoyed ACU Homecoming - only because we actually finally have decent floats compared to when I was there. And Brandon, it really is a lot of fun if you can attend Breakfast again even though it's early. I am intriqued by the 10:30 Knights breakfast - what about chapel and parade?? Oh well.

And mums ... Littlefield High School was focused in Texas Monthly Magazine one year for it's incredible homecoming experience. Mums were certainly a part. I don't think our guys wore any big flowers like I hear they do in other cities. I would have revolted against it - mainly because of my alleriges (I sound like the guy in Sleepless in Seattle engaged to the Meg Ryan character!!!) Love ya brother!! ICB BST !!

Drew Battistelli said...

I love Mums. All Saints Day, pracitced mostly by the Catholic Church, brings out thousands, literally in front of Wal-Mart and our local grocery stores. Yellow, Purple, White, Orange...

My favorite season is upon us! God did a wonderful job with Autumn.

Malia said...

Mums!! (I think I've commented about this before.) I remember going to Wildcat football games with my dad and at the homecoming games seeing all the girls (college and high school) wearing those mums! I couldn't wait until I was old enough to do that do. I wanted one SO BADLY! Then we moved to Virginia and they didn't do that there! NOBODY had ever heard of it and everyone thought I was nuts when I tried to describe it. Oh the memories.