Monday, September 18, 2006

In a year or more, I haven't had a worship experience like I had last night. The guys from Sanctuary (the college worship time on Th nights) led our monthly worship night called Celebration. There's just a difference with them. It wasn't about musicianship, though they were all great musicians. It wasn't about self glorification, though they were all extremely talented. There was just a spirit of worship. Taye, the leader, exudes that spirit, but he's not the only one. All those on stage had that spirit. Sometimes when I hear worship bands lead, it's as if the worship leader is the only one even attempting to lead worship while the players are seem checked out--at best. (True sometimes with praise teams too.)

The night culminated for me in a repeating of a David Crowder chorus, "God Reigns" going right into "How Great is Our God". I wasn't even able to sing the last part of it because I had been so moved. I needed that so much. THANK YOU to all the Sanctuary folks for coming and blessing us so richly. I can't remember the last time I felt so powerfully led into worship!

5 comments:

Drew Battistelli said...

I remember last year that the girls and guys in Sanctuary did a wonderful job leading at ZOE. They all seem so involved in the worship and sharing in the moment with God and the ones they were leading. I had a friend who had never been in an instrumental worship setting who was able to melt away and worship that night.

Is Sanctuary going to be able to do a late night at ZOE this year again? PLEASE!

Phil said...

Yeah, it was a great night of worship.

Dwiggy444 said...

It's funny to hear you say this Brandon, cuz this is EXACTLY how I feel when you lead worship at Zoe (and when we visit Otter Creek). I can't make it to Zoe this year (long story) and I sort of feel like I'm driving past a gas station sign in the desert that reads "Next rest stop - 1,000 miles".

Peggy N Texas said...

What do you believe causes one to be able to "worship" and get the "feelings" you are describing? It seems that sometimes music does it, but even according to you, not all the time. So what do you think is the "secret" to drawing one into worship?

Drew Battistelli said...

pegc- i know you were asking brandon, but i wanted to share.

it's usually not the music. it's usually the enviroment of people, which would be community. if i worship with people who love, who know freedom, who are thankful for God's mercy and grace and who want to use their bodies and minds through service, art, music, dance, prayer, giving, talking, whatever.

It's all about who's encouraging me to give God all I can figure out to offer, not just music. When I've been encouraged in that way, then I think I'm more willing to be honest, open and intimate with God in my worship.