Monday, September 04, 2006

This morning at Sheryl's parents house Maddie and Ella were playing "church" (worship service). Maddie had her Paw-Paw's guitar and Ella was beating on a stool like a bongo drum. Maddie was making up lyrics and playing the guitar singing, "Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! We thank you, God!" etc.

Then Maddie led a prayer that went like this, "Thank you God for everything, thank you for our family and for all the animals." At the end of the prayer, Ella announced, "OK everyone, listen up. It's time for 'Peace'." (They call communion "peace". I think it's because we've talked to them about the peace of Christ and also Sheryl has offered them a "little piece" before. So, they've always called it "peace".) Maddie put down the guitar and Ella began to organize the taking of "peace". It was all so fun to watch.

I thought about how cool it would be for them to get to partner in sometihng like that. Maybe one day. I recently heard someone say that women are given their leadership titles and freedoms by men. Seems to me that it's more likely that God instills that in people and that the Holy Spirit guides each of us into the roles God has for us. Hopefully, one day Maddie and Ella will walk in freedom and use all the gifts the Lord has given them to serve the Body.

7 comments:

julie said...

Brandon, you are so right that God gives that freedom and not men. Amen.

Stacey said...

That is so precious, Brandon. I love how kids views of "church" and "worship" can be so refreshing and unassuming.

Blessings to you and the family...

Arlene Kasselman said...

Oh how I pray that prayer for my daughter too!

Katherine said...

Amen, my friend!! I love it.

Being at Highland has been such a tremendous blessing as we figure all of this out...

I pray that they continue to learn and grow in the freedom of Christ and the gifts He has blessed them with!!

Phil said...

"I recently heard someone say that women are given their leadership titles and freedoms by men. Seems to me that it's more likely that God instills that in people and that the Holy Spirit guides each of us into the roles God has for us."

My wife had the exact same reaction to that.

judy thomas said...

Amen, I pray that Maddie and Ella and all the other little girls growing up now will find a more enlightened church and brotherhood so that their many gifts can bring them into a fully-founded membership. Mom

judy thomas said...

oops, I meant fully-rounded