Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I appreciated Pegc's comment yesterday and thought I'd just take it online for some discussion from all of us.

She asked... "What do you believe causes one to be able to "worship" and get the "feelings" you are describing? It seems that sometimes music does it, but even according to you, not all the time. So what do you think is the "secret" to drawing one into worship?"

I would begin by saying that nothing can draw us into worship except the Holy Spirit and a willing heart to go there.

Having said that, there are certain things that are important for the worshipper to bring...an open heart, yes, but also a sense of expectation. Sometimes we don't feel like entering in. There is a biblical notion of bringing the sacrifice of praise. David said it. Instead of burnt offerings...He desires our heart. So, even when I don't feel like it (write that ten times and see how ridiculous you feel), God still deserves it, so we offer a sacrifice of praise!

Now, all that aside, there are certain things that help me more than others. Typically, it's the leading that either helps or hinders. Sometimes the happy-clappy, foot stompy types of things are great--when, WHEN, there's a clear object of that excitement--being God and not the person leading worship. Sometimes the mellow, contemplative style does it for me...again, when the leader(s) are helping me see God's face by continually pointing to him.

Obviously, part of it is personality. But, I firmly believe that we can and should be able to worship no matter what the circumstance because God is certainly worthy. We all have things that speak to us a little more deeply. I think for me Sunday night it was a mixture. Taye added some older hymns to the collection and would go back and forth between those and the new ones. He also seemed to really be sensitive to where the Spirit was leading and a couple of times we just parked on a chorus for a few minutes to let it sink in. Honestly, that was the trigger point for me that night. Not just blowing through them, but taking the time to really connect with the lyric. Taking the time to really let it sink into my heart.

Ultimately, the "secret" is the Holy Spirit and our own individual decision to allow him to move in our hearts during worship. Deciding to "go there" if you will. Sometimes it's as easy as that. But I certainly do appreciate leaders who have a shepherding heart in worship--who see the goal and help the church get there--realizing that true worship isn't about the volume, the use or non use of an instrument, the coolness factor of the songs, or anything else besides encouraging the heart to recognize the majesty of Jesus and bow before Him.

Thanks for asking Peg! I'm not always the best at doing the things I've written about here, but since worship is one of my favorite things, I love to talk about it from a worshipper's perspective. Thanks for giving me the open door!

OK--now you guys--what are some things that help you in worship?

7 comments:

Beaner said...

In corporate worship times, I really connect with God when I'm singing & MEANING the words coming out of my mouth. That's why I have an easier time feeling connected to newer songs because I honestly don't know what some of the words mean in some of the 'old-timey' songs & it causes a disconnect for me.

In times of private worship, I like to be outside where I can connect with the sights & sounds of God's creation. It really helps me to shift focus away from myself & onto the works of His hands.

Drew Battistelli said...

I commented yesterday, but your post gave me better perspective and I've taken a few minutes to think.

1) Encouragement - From both the leader and fellow worshippers to simply forget my problems, my wants, my needs and remember God will provide what I need and the desires of my heart according to His will. I just need to shut up about myself and worship and love on our Great God. I need a leader and worshipppers to constantly encourage me to do that.

2) Time - We need time. We're a fast paced world and we expect things to happen instantly, but sometimes one song to "call us to worship" doesn't get me there. I'm still thinking about myself and need that time to just say to myself and remind myself, it's not about me, life isn't about me, it's about God and His will and His love and His gifts.

3) Message - Words are important to me. I want to say good, new things to God and to others when I sing. I want th leader to remind us and encourage us to speak to God not only through song, but prayer, dance, our bodies, our lips, our ears, our eyes, our hands.

4) Seeing the big picture - The more and more I worship God throughout the week, either personally or through service or dancing or praying, my time in community is more powerful. Especially when I'm around people who've worshipped all week alone or with someone next to them, the anticipation to hear from each other and from God is great.

5) Sharing - I think we need to learn to let to give some room for people to share, pray, speak, give thanksgiving, lift up God, mourn in our times together. We will learn a lot more about each other and be able to act as Christ's hands and feet then.

Katie said...

Hi friend!

I'm so glad you commented about the "sacrifice of praise." That is something that I am talking with my kids here at church about. They really get into the happy-clappy, movey-groovy songs, but then they fold their arms and look around the room during the more calm songs. If I ask them why they aren't singing, they'll say, "Well, I don't really like that song." Ooohh, that really bugs me. So we've been talking about how what we do is for GOD-- not for us-- and we still offer up our words to Him... even if we don't really feel like it. I'm excited to think of how my 5's are going to worship God when they are adults if they can learn NOW that it's not about them!

Kelley said...

Sometimes worship is difficult when you are sad. It's then that I remember the first Zoe after 9/11 when we discussed "Deep Calls to Deep" from Psalms 42. Even in sadness "I will yet praise Him."
I believe it's all about wanting or desiring to worship. Either you do or you don't.

Katey said...

I know what Katie is talking about with the kids. The Youth Group kids do the same thing and I don't understand why one song can mean to much to them at camp and nothing in the OC sanctuary. So, that leads me to believe that the environment greatly affects the ability for some to worship. And in the case of camp versus Sunday morning- I think it is not only environment, but mindsets and focus of hearts. I know that personally though, there will always be some songs that no matter what is going on- if they are sung in worship, it would be very difficult for me to hold my emotions in check because of the specific meanings and how they have related to times in my life.

Peggy N Texas said...

Thank you for taking the time to discuss this. It is important to me and I realize there are times I want to worship and others when I am ho-hum. I am just trying to figure all of it out and this has really helped me look at different aspects of my worship.

I am so excited about the Zoe conference and I am sure there will be many things to take away from there to help my worship. Again thanks for your discussion of this topic.

wstaple said...

Some of the most intimate worship times I've ever had have been when I was completely broken before God. Remember when you were little, maybe you were really tired and you just wanted your mom or dad to hold you and tell you they loved you? That's what it's like. It gets back to having an expectant heart, knowing that you can go to God and He's exactly what you want and need.