Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Wow--what an amazing relay swimming race last night! Incredible! Did I mention I am a junkie?

I began blogging about 5 months ago. I was in the middle of some pretty difficult stuff at OC during that time and while things have gotten better relationally, the year seems to have held that same kind of feel. It's probably been the hardest year of my adult life and definitely the hardest year ever with regards to work, ministry, etc. I look back and wonder if it might have been the Lord pushing me towards blogging through the use of several influential voices. I wonder if He knew I'd need a place of safety (well, some days!) to sort out all the stuff going on around me. I wonder if he knew I would come to rely on this blog community for wisdom and strength on hard days. It's a cool thing. I am thankful for you all and for your encouragement on the journey. Thanks for allowing me to use this method to vent and to express things that might not always be pleasant to read. Thank you for giving me extra measures of grace along the way. I have to believe that, somehow, God is using these blogs to allow us to talk about the deeper things of life and to encourage each other. I am always amazed as I search the net and read other blogs of friends like Donny, Stephanie, Chris Lockhart, Clarissa, Mike, Greg, Ty and others. The things being discussed are deep truths, sometimes struggles, always inspirational. It's not because any of us proclaim ourselves to be writers or authors--well, except for Mike and GT. I think the reason all these blogs (and there are many more than what I have listed here) are so awesome is because we get a peek inside regular lives on a journey with the Lord. Hopefully, the hard questions we all ask will be softened as Jesus says, "Come learn of me!" "My yoke is easy, my burden is light." "Come find rest for your souls."

We are siblings on a journey. Some days it's easier to blog about creamed corn than it is the harder issues that seem to cover me like a prickly blanket. I think that's ok. Creamed corn is just as much a part of the journey. It's mundane and wonderful. It's family, it's fellowship. Without the creamed corn type of blogs, I'd go insane.

Yesterday I had one of my major meetings that I have been dreading this week. It went pretty well. There was much to process last night. Sheryl amazes me. I mean, she is really incredible. She loves me more than I deserve. Her empathy and words of wisdom and understanding were so soothing last night. She is a treasure.

I have a lot on my heart to write regarding the meeting yesterday, but again, not blog appropriate. So, back to creamed corn. But seriously.

Tonight we are talking about holiness during our Retreat to the Creek time. I look forward to what Tim has to say. Next week we finish out the summer as we have for years with Phil Keaggy, a very wonderful man of God and a freak on the guitar. I always enjoy talking with Phil. There's a quiet presence of the Lord in Him. He is one of those guys who is amazingly gifted and yet seems to breed calm in those around him. That seems to be such a rare quality. I love his story. I love his wife, Bernadette. I am so thankful for his ministry and love of OC. If you're near Nashville and can make it next Wednesday, please come. 7pm!

I have rambled some today. Hope that's ok. God is good. That is something unchanging and something that anchors us all. We can count on it.

6 comments:

Jenni said...

Brandon - I am definitely a recipient of your growth, wisdom, humor, etc through this blog. Matter of fact, I think it was Mike's blog that led me to yours, which led me to many of those you listed, which made me a blog junkie (do you know how much time you can waste just jumping around and reading blogs?!?), which led to me starting my own blog this week. It's crazy to me that a community where so few know each other face-to-face, can be such an encouraging group with just words on a page and prayers lifted up. God is good and He definitely uses the unusual to help us sort out life.

Dwiggy444 said...

Brandon - Keep it coming, keep on trucking and keep on keepin' on! (Hmm. Now I've used my quota of cliches for the entire week! What's left for MY blog???) But seriously folks...

I am continually awed by your wisdom and your perserverance in your desire to serve the Father. It is so evident, even through this little glimpse we get of you, that you want what God wants, for His people, for the Church and for the World. And yet I know how difficult it must be to be a leader AND struggle just like everyone else. It takes a lot of courage to be open, to share your mind and heart with this community, and I hope and pray that this forum continues to be a blessing to you and to those who read your blog.

Although it's been said before (and much more eloquently, I'm sure), I sincerely mean it when I say, "Keep up the good work." I am praying for you, your family and the other men and women of God who are in your life. May God continue to bless you, to protect you and to use you in a mighty way for His Glory!

SG said...

I have loved "chating" with you over the last five months via blog! Stay the course! :)

Lovell's Lookout said...

Brandon- YOu are the best. You, Quile', and Cope are the ones that sucked me into this whole BLOG thing. I love reading your daily thoughts. Your gift of writing somehow captures the intersection of the mundane with the Holy.(with a great dose of side-splitting humor) Like the soup nazi in Seinfield becoming a unforgettable character, my mind will always go back to the "ear murderer" every time I get a haircut. That BLOG should be in the hall of fame, which fittingly should be placed next to Graceland in your hometown. BLogging is the new "americana" and you my friend are one of it's classic purveyors!!! Godspeed...

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

Thanks for the love you gave me yesterday on your blog!! You're the best !!

~Jodi~ said...

I just happened to stumble upon your blog tonight and was so challenged by your wisdom and words. Its probably weird to have someone posting that ya don't know at all i suppose, but yet so powerful the way that God can use someones words like your own to touch lives you've never even met !I Just wanted to say thank you! as you said this...."... so awesome is because we get a peek inside regular lives on a journey with the Lord. Hopefully, the hard questions we all ask will be softened as Jesus says, "Come learn of me!" "My yoke is easy, my burden is light." "Come find rest for your souls."
Thanks for your encouragement and willingness to be real and vuleranble!
God bless!
Jodi