Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Today will be a great day. I am declaring it! There is much to celebrate today.

1. I had vocal therapy this morning and it went very well. (I'm working mainly on my speaking voice)
2. Tonight we have Jeff Berry in a wonderful night of worship! His whole band couldn't make it, but Jeff Giddens (an Otter Creeker who is now at ACU) is playing with him this summer on the road and will be here to play guitar with JB on keyboards. It's a highlight for us. I think this might be the 7th summer we've had him. It's a treat! Jeff and Anna are staying with us so we'll have plenty of visit time. We go waaaaay back. Jeff's sister, Kristen, and I stayed at the same babysitter's house when we were 4. We have known each other a long time...even though he is MUCH older than me. Kidding. Jeff and I even worked at the famed Jeffory's Village Peddler together back in those college days. Jeff was at Baylor and would work holidays. We had probably too much fun. I am really proud of what he has done with his life and talents. He started the huge Grace Bible study in Abilene combining students from all three major Universities. There are around 2000 kids from all different denominations who worship together with Jeff and his band every Tuesday night. He tours through the summers and a good bit of the year. His lovely wife, Anna, is also an Abilene girl and a friend from way back. I am excited that they'll be with us tonight. Jeff is a GIFTED worship leader. If you don't have any of his worship CDs--check out his website. They are some of my very favorite worship CDs.
3. This morning I think Maddie got confused between the words "too" and "two". I told her I loved her too and she started telling me she "loved me twice." I kinda like that!
4. I am eating lunch at Baja Burrito--a trendy California Burrito style place where you're sure to see all manner of people and interesting sights (my second very favorite Nashville restaurant)-- with the staff to honor all our summer interns.
5. I am getting a much needed hair cut.
6. Today is like Friday for me since I am off the rest of the week to celebrate our anniversary!

I wrote the top part of this before lunch and hair cut and didn't have time to finish. I must add a section here about getting said hair cut. Last time I went, I had recently gotten a certain addition to my left ear in the upper cartilage. I have neglected to blog about said addition for fear of being excommunicated by Leviticus loving brethren. Anyway--if you can even keep reading after that shocking announcement, the last time I was in there this very weathered, older, African American woman was new on the job back in the hair washing dept. She literally tried to murder my ear. I am not making this up. I honestly let out a yelp that was completely involuntary after she seemed to try and pull said addition out of my ear (because she was being rough and even after asking her to please be careful on that side--forgot). I was determined as I went in today to get one of the other nice ladies who have washed my hair a thousand times before. I walked into the back room and they were all washing hair except for...you guessed it...Ear Murderer. She approached me (I wish I could underscore this with music). There were two basic choices. Either I run, or I take one for the team. Since I fancy myself a team player at times, I decide to go with that. I also didn't want to offend the nice ear murderer. I sat down and she began her work. Sure enough..about 5 seconds in, YANK..."YEEEOOOWW!"..."I'm so sorry, I saw that and forgot it was there." (now that just doesn't make sense)

The other "technique" used by Ear Murderer is what I call the scrub-til-every-hair-is-gone plan. The woman appears to be small and somewhat fragile. Not so. She went at my head like you would take an SOS pad to a pan caked with cheese and tomato sauce. I wanted to say, "Excuse me, Ear Murderer, have you noticed that I am in need of every last hair I have left??!!" But, I didn't. I thanked her, tipped her and went on my painful journey to Billy's chair to get my the cut. He and I laughed about it, but I just know that I will be dreading my next trip. I can already see it in my mind...walking this dream-like narrow hall to the hair washing place and seeing Ear Murderer there with soapy hands in the air laughing in an evil manner..."Waaa-Haaa-Haaa!!"

Have a great Wednesday! I wish you could all be with us tonight as we raise the roof in worship. We should plan a blog reunion sometime. Maybe Stephanie should plan that...and invite the kids.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where to begin? So much material. Brain going crazy with 1000's of insults.

SG said...

8138 hits on this little blog, and for what??? To read about Ear Murderers and your misguided use of piercing. (You can get an infection up there in the cartilage and your ear will fall off! My mother told me so!neh neh neh neh neh!:-)
I love it! I laughed so hard!
Plan another reunion...BRING IT ON!

SG said...

ooops forgot a neh...it should have read neh-neh-neh-neh-neh-neeh!

Donna G said...

Loved it, am still laughing, and I can't wait till the reunion. (I am invited aren't I?)

Val said...

How many years on the anniversary?

Clarissa said...

6 years.

Anonymous said...

You post about voice therapy, an Ear murderer, a new addition to the upper cartilage of your ear, and a hair cut and Blogger puts @ "Vote for Kerry ads on your blog? hhhmmm /head scratch/

believingthomas said...

maybe she doesn't like the streaks in your hair and wants to scrub them out.... come to think of it she may feel the same toward your jewelry. She's just trying to cleanse you. Is that SO wrong.

Lovell's Lookout said...

I am hurting!!! Picturing Brandon's feet squirming while the ear natze works away..pricless...you need to write for the Farley brothers...I am crying. I think God picks out "special" people to experience things like this. Brandon. YOu are chosen my friend!!!

SG said...

Survey for "Blog family" (I guess you know who you are)
Best place to meet... Zoe conference in Nashvile, ACU Lecturship, Other.
Just wondering....

Mae said...

I, too had the cartilage piercing. Of course it was more of a rebellion against all that was adult, and I was 19 years old, but hey, whatever! One day in late summer of 1998 it was menacingly ripped from said cartilage by a gum chewing, tangle murderess who talked like Moon Zappa in valley girl meets Tennessee language, "OOOOOO MY GAWUD! DEUD AH JUSS POOH OUT YER LIL PEIRICN? HONEY AH AM SOOOO SURRY! LIIK THAT MUST UV HURT REAL BAUD, YOU NEED A BAND-AID UR SUMPIN?" Never, in all that is holy, would I ever wish that experience on anyone ~ unless of course, it's another Moon Zappa rendition of Red Neck Valley Girl Language. Then the Ear Nazis may come out in full force!!! :)
SG ~ I vote on Nashville for the reunion. Of course, Oct. 2 is bad for me, I have school that day. Maybe I'll mysteriously come down with a horrilbe disease that will keep me in Middle Tennessee. Nah, I can't lie ~ dang it...

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

ooooooh. Mae--hurting--laughing. I am certain I've met that girl at the local Piggly Wiggly. And, by the way, does that name (Piggly Wiggly) freak anyone else out but me?

Mae said...

Boawy ~ yew mean ta tell me ye h'ain't neevr seen a pig wiggle? Ah knows ya don't claim ta be a TinCun... Whud a shamee...