Thursday, August 05, 2004

My Mom had a cool posting on her blog today. She talked about school supplies. It really took me back.

My weakness in school supplies was always the cool lunch boxes. It still is. I think I bought one for Maddie when she was 1 1/2. She marched off to school last year with her very sweet Madeline lunch pail. I was tempted to buy her a new one when we were at Six Flags a few weekends ago. But, our budget for that trip kept me from it.

What was your favorite lunch pail back in Elementary School? Maybe it was a cool Star Wars lunch box. I think I had one or two of those. Maybe for you girls out there it was a Wonder Woman lunch box. Or Maybe for those children of the late 70's /early 80's it was a Muppets lunch box. I know I had one.

Ahhh. Back to school. Memories of fall. Football games, new uncomfortable school clothes, locker combinations. Any stories to share?

6 comments:

CL said...

Brandon, The thing I remember about shopping for school supplies was the opportunity to buy a brand new "Trapper Keeper" oh man, did I love those things. The first week of school was great because I would carry as much stuff that I could buy for school (or get my parents to buy me) into my new backpack (had to have one of those every year too) but I would always carry my Trapper Keeper on my hip in one of my hands. It was awesome for the first week, and then for some reason about the end of week two I just lost interest and it would usually end up in the bottom of my closet, probably because I hated carrying so much stuff.

Clarissa said...

Charlie's Angels. I guess the pictures of the Angels all pointing their guns on the front of my lunchbox wouldn't be allowed in school today. That must've been early on, like in kindergarten. I don't think I was even allowed to watch that show.
Pink Panther. It was my first soft-sided one, white, so perfectly smooth with its shiny plastic cover -- I remember running my hand over it time and again.
And I always loved the thermoses, too, and pouring some of my drink into the cap of the thermos (which doubled as a microscopic drinking cup.)

Anonymous said...

Dukes of Hazzard all the way. Enough said. - ABM

Mae said...

My older brother had Star Wars, my sister had Holly Hobbie (and the matching bedroom suite, I was so jealous that she had the bedspread and curtains too!), I had Strawberry Shortcake, and my youngest brother had the Smurfs and later Alf. We also had coordinating tv dinner trays that we got to use on Friday nights when ABC had their movie of the week. I also had a Cabbage Patch kids backpack (complete with a head on the back pocket w/ "real" hair) and a matching (to the lunch box) Strawberry Shortcake bicycle (with training wheels until the end of 1st grade ~ thank you very much!) Ahh, those were the times! :)
Isn't it crazy how we were/are all so influenced by television?!!!

Anonymous said...

Evel Knevel.
Your pal, Daren

SG said...

Sadly, just after my Rescuers lunch box retired in 2nd grade, my Mom was introduced to Tupperware. I had a red, very organized, very compartmentalized lunch box from then on because as we all know with Tupperware, it gets ugly before it ever wears out!