Sunday, August 29, 2004

I got word yesterday that my Aunt Ruby died. This is my aunt who lives in Groesbeck, TX...close to Waco. I wrote about the many childhood memories I have from our visits there. It's a very sad loss. It's the end of an era. No more Thomas family in Groesbeck--except for a host of relatives buried there...including my father. I want to go so badly, I just don't think we can afford the ticket. I am also not sure I would feel good about leaving Sheryl to be SUPERMOM for another couple of days. I don't know...Please pray about this for me. The thought of missing that funeral and being with my relatives as they gather there is really weighing on me. I haven't been to my dad's grave in several years. I'd really like to go. I just need some wisdom in making these decisions.

What an amazing morning it's been! WOW! Tim is preaching on the baptism of Jesus and specifically on God's words to him...You are my Son...I am pleased with You...I love You. He spent the morning talking about our own baptism experience and that we should be hearing the same words--they should be life shaping. What a powerful message! We sane songs like "I Will Praise You", "You Are Holy", "What the Lord Has Done In Me", and "I Will Change Your Name". I honestly think it's one of the most encouraging mornings we've had in some time. I borrowed this from a poster in my office and wanted to post the version we did today as a congregational reading.

As Believers We Are:
MEN:
Saved by grace through faith—Romans 5:1,2
Forgiven--Eph 1:7
Accepted--Rom 15:7

ALL:
Beloved of God--Rom 1:7

WOMEN:
Servants of the Most High God--Acts 16:17
New Creatures--2 Cor 5:17
Dead to Sin--Rom 6:11
Alive to God--Rom 6:11

ALL:
Walking in the Newness of Life--Rom 6:4
Baptized into Christ Jesus--Rom 6:3
The Temple of the Holy Spirit--1 Cor 6:19
Clothed with Christ--Gal 3:27

MEN:
Holy--Heb 3:1
Blameless- 1Cor 1:8
At Peace with God--Rom5:1
Christians--Acts 11:26
Born Again--1 Peter 1:23

ALL:
Partakers of the Divine Nature--2 Peter 1:4
Empowered by God-- Eph 3:20
Children of Promise--Gal 4:28
One in Him--Gal 3:28
The Body of Christ--1 Cor 12:27

WOMEN:
Vessels of Honor--2 Tim 2:21
Salt of the Earth--Matt 5:13
Light of the World--Matt 5:14

MEN:
Seated in Heaven--Eph 2:6
Kingdom Citizens--Phil 3:20
A Royal Priesthood--1 Peter 2:9

ALL:
Soldiers of Christ--2 Tim 2:3
Fishers of Men--Mark1:17
Ministers of Reconciliation--2 Cor 5:18
Victorious!-- 1 Cor 15:57


God bless your day of worship and rest. Thanks for your prayers. God is good.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Brandon,

It deeply saddens me to hear of your Aunt. I want you to know that although you and I have our differences in beliefs about small things. The power of prayer is one thing that we can agree on. Please know that you, your family, and your ministry for the Lord Jesus all have my thoughts and prayers throughout this week. God's Grace to you all.

SG said...

I am so sad about your aunt for you! It seems you had a inkling last week something was up when you were thinking of going by Grosebeck. Southwest has bereavment rates you know. Or just pack up the family van and roadtrip. From Little Rock you are just 7 hours away!:)
AND You know you have a place to stay in Waco...you could pick from at least two places that I know of..well we are here and the welcome mat is out if you need it! Again I am so sorry for your loss!

SG said...

I am so sad about your aunt for you! It seems you had a inkling last week something was up when you were thinking of going by Grosebeck. Southwest has bereavment rates you know. Or just pack up the family van and roadtrip. From Little Rock you are just 7 hours away!:)
AND You know you have a place to stay in Waco...you could pick from at least two places that I know of..well we are here and the welcome mat is out if you need it! Again I am so sorry for your loss!

JD said...

I will add my wishes for God's comfort in your heart in your loss. And also wisdom in making a difficult decision about travel.

The sermon you mentioned sounds awesome and I thank you for sharing a bit of it with us. It has some wheels turning in my mind. This is not always an easy accomplishment!

God bless you and your day.

Anonymous said...

Buddy, I had an Aunt Sissy who sounds exactly like your aunt. She had a voice 10 times deeper than any man's from a lifetime of smoking. Some of my favorite childhood memories came from being at her house. She also kind of scared me (the voice). I loved her.
Buddy