Friday, August 20, 2004

Man, this week. All I can say is creamed corn. How's that for using code?

OK, so yesterday a good friend called me and told me he had some free tickets to the Wilson County Fair. I was pumped! I knew it would be a great way to have some fun in a week that's been otherwise. I used to count the days when I was a kid til the West Texas Fair happened in Abilene. Man, I still can remember getting sick as a dog on the Octopus ride. Gag.

So, we decided we'd get an early start and leave at 5pm. Hmmm, what else happens at 5pm? Anyone? Yes, rush hour. We sat in the car for what felt like hours while Maddie and Ella watched Sleeping Beauty. Maddie calls her "Sleeping Booty" which adequately described parts of me by the time we got there. It was all worth the wait! We had a blast. Carsen, Maddie, and Ella all were able to sit together on most of the rides. It was hilarious! My favorite was the rollercoaster where they all just had open mouths and Maddie raised her hands in the air and screamed.

There were also lots of animals for the kids to see and pet. Our girls really loved the baby pig. Sweet ol' pig. Someday I'll share some pig stories with you. That was a former life.

A couple of observations from the Wilson County Fair:

*The mullet is alive and well. (I tried to provide a link so you could see what a mullet is, if you've missed out on this very fashionable statement--but there were none clean enough.)

*If one were to capture the scent of the Wilson County Fair and bottle it--like the "new car scent", it could only be called "Fair Foul". I beseech you, if any of you have not invested in this nifty invention called DEODORANT, please, ask your local pharmacist.

*After 30+ years, a Fair diet consisting of only cotton candy, shaved ice, and a bloomin' onion will still leave you feeling nasty.

*Carnies. Enough said.

*A well intentioned female vocalist was completely murdering "I Can Only Imagine". She took the Reba approach. Bless.

*Somehow, Fair fun has made this weird transformation from actually enjoying a ride yourself to now enjoying it vicariously through your children. There really are few things better than watching your kids have the time of their lives.

*Rabbits, chickens, sheep, pigs, cows, and turkeys stink. There's really no getting around it. Wait, maybe that was the B.O.

*In case anyone wonders, they still have those fish bowls where you try and throw a ball in and if you get it in the bowl, you win the fish. What they neglect to tell you and what most young children come to discover after county fairs, those fish have a life expectancy of maybe 48 hours. At best.

*There's something about the lights, the games staff crying out for players, the sound of the rides operating, and the smell of corn on the cob that just breeds a childlike joy.

*That familiar ride home from the fair--exhausted, dirty, thankful, chatty, and ready for bed.

I recommend a visit to your local county fair. It's really fun and it will be something your kids won't forget. This weekend we have pictures for our Church pictorial directory. I have already heard stories. Maybe there'll be some good blog fodder coming in a day or so.

Have a great weekend, blog family!

13 comments:

Chris said...

BST,

In the spirit of Christian love, and as a former carnie, I'll forgive the crack about my former profession... :D
(By the way - it was a GREAT job - outside all day, interacting with interesting people, paid in CA$H!)

<><

Jenni said...

Oh, the joys of the WTF -- somehow, even though it has lots of neat things, the State Fair here in Dallas just doesn't compare!

Mae said...

Aah, the fair (or was us TinC natives call it "thu faar".) Such wonderful, fun, interesting memories ~ don't tell me you went for a blooming onion over a funnel cake ~ you heathern!
In high school all of us yearbook staffers always got the best pics to show exactly how red our fellow students necks were (crimson is a great shade to show the depth) ~ we loved the footage so much that we deemed it "The Freaks Come Out Week". Nuff said. :)
BTW on Sunday Oct. 3, Jars of Clay is performing at the Lawrence County Fair. I think tickets are all of $5. I know it's a busy weekend for ZOE, but since I have class all day Saturday and can't enjoy Reaching for the Mountains (or is it hills?) I'll settle for some Jars.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

for the record, there are Carnies who are great, and some who are not so great. We can leave it at that. Now, cor the CarnEYS...well, that's a different story. The Carneys are the providers of many joyfilled moments for me through their generousity of things like CREAMED CORN and through the hugs and smiles of their sons, Caleb and Addison.

wstaple said...

It's amazing how one's opinion changes with age. The Octopus was also my favorite ride at the fair. I used to go with my dad to the Gray Fair in East Tennessee. While he manned the Sertoma Club booth, I eat all kinds of junk food then head straight for the Octopus; and I never got sick. Now I can't even walk by the Octopus without getting queasy.

wstaple said...

It's amazing how one's opinion changes with age. The Octopus was also my favorite ride at the fair. I used to go with my dad to the Gray Fair in East Tennessee. While he manned the Sertoma Club booth, I would eat all kinds of junk food then head straight for the Octopus; and I never got sick. Now I can't even walk by the Octopus without getting queasy.

Val said...

THe weird thing about the Wests Texas Fair, is that when I was in banking, our past dues shot up by amzing amounts during that month of September. It was not an anomaly. It happened every year. As far as our family is concerned, we go well out of our way to avoid that side of town while the fair is in town. Now if the kids want to pet animals we take out to one of the ranches and if they want rides we go to Six Flags. It's safer and much cheaper.

CL said...

Brandon, Great post! If anyone has any doubt about the vitality of the mullet I'll be happy to send them some sweet reminders from LA - (that's Lower Alabama.) God bless!

JD said...

Very descriptive.... I could almost smell the that county fair smell ... but thankfully it was just almost. Ours is in October. There is a certain feeling that one gets only at the county fair.

Beaner said...

I grew up in Chicago so we didn't go to any county fairs but we did go to carnivals at the Catholic Churchs. Anyway, same great rides but no stinky animals. My favorite ride was the Zipper - it looks like little cages in the shape of a car & they all spun around while the whole track moved around too. We tried to see how many times we could get upside down in a row. Also, my favorite prize to win was a square mirror with an image of Bon Jovi emblazoned upon it - good times!!! Thanks for bringing back those memories!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I went down to the Wilson County Auction ....ak arg.... Faaiiirr

Anonymous said...

Don't be surprised if in 2-3 years instead of mullets we are making fun of people who had spikey, frosted tip hair. Sounds like a future "you are so Nashville if..."

Clarissa said...

Random, and to noone in particular -- don't think Rob ever had a mullet, but he did have a body wave. Picture is hilarious. Saving it for just the right occasion.