Sunday, August 15, 2004

Two words...va-cation.

It's been so nice being out of our normal routine. Sheryl and I had a great weekend together. We stayed in Cool Springs at the Embassy Suites and saw a couple of movies and just had a great relaxing weekend together. This morning we went to Harpeth Community Church which was birthed out of Otter Creek 7 years ago. It is doing quite well. It was fun seeing old friends there. The worshp time was very meaningful and Chad Harrington, who was 10 when they left Otter Creek, led the communion thoughts this morning. I was so blessed by what he said. Chad leaves for Harding tomorrow. That just can't be possible.

Tonight we came back to Otter for the Children's Musical, "Holy Moses". The kids did a great job! Maddie and Ella enjoyed watching them. Julianne Cox and Annie Grace Netterville blew me away with their solos! What talent!

I have a week of conflict resolution coming my way. I'd really appreciate prayers for wisdom and discernment as I dive in head first this week. It's really not appropriate to blog about, but there are at least 3 different situations. What's the common denominator in all of them? ME. Hmmm...maybe this should tell me something.

One of the difficult things about blogging is that I really want to provide an honest approach to ministry, but what I am realizing is that most of what makes ministry difficult are the problems and issues behind the scenes--none of which are ever appropriate for public discussion. Those of you in ministry feel me on this. We are imperfect people walking a treacherous road of ministering to imperfect people. It can be a recipe for disaster. I think that's why Paul was so open about his own failings in Romans. How comforting to know that God's mercy covers all of us. As if we did any good without the entire glory and honor belonging to the Father. As if we ever have the right things to say without the help of the Holy Spirit. As if we can offer much of anything worthwhile in our own strength and effort apart from God. Such important things to remember as we all walk the road together.

I hope your weekend was enjoyable too. May God bless your Monday and be with those kids out there starting school. On that note, please be in prayer for Sarah Woodroof (Tim's daughter). Her roommate at ACU (I think her name is Sheralyn Halbert?) was killed in an automobile accident last night. Such a difficult loss for that family and for Sarah. We can't take anything for granted. Every day is a gift. I'm grateful for the sweet gift of time with Sheryl this weekend and with our girls today. God is good.

1 comment:

CL said...

Brandon,

Thanks for your comments. I know that sometimes I feel as if I am being too open in things that I talk about when posting, but that is just who I am, maybe a weakness that God can use. Which reminds me yesterday's lesson title at Port City was How Can God use our Weaknesses, we talked a little about Paul's thorn and it made me think of the fact that dealing with people always leaves you open for criticism and there are always going to be limitations there and yesterday I had to lay it at the altar that God would use those uncontrollables for His glory! Praying for you brother, from the other end of the boat! God bless!