Monday, August 30, 2004



Today was the perfect Zoo day! Sheryl was so smart to buy the season passes. We met Jill, Mack and Champ out there and the kids all played and screamed for a couple of hours. It was a fun day except for a goat with some attitude who didn't appreciate Maddie touching it's horns. (petting zoo part)

I have decided not to go to Groesbeck tomorrow. It was a really hard decision and I am, even now, vacillating back and forth on it. However, I think it's for the best. My heart will certainly be there tomorrow. I think I will be able to visit the cemetery in a couple of weeks.

I had such a serendipitous experience on my way home. My best friend and brother, Stephen, lives in the DFW area with his family. I was delayed because of weather and had a 2 1/2 hour layover. It was the perfect amount of time for Chili's and fellowship! Actually, fellowship seems trite in describing that afternoon. There's no way to describe my friendship with Stephen. He was my roommate through ACU and afterwards--even in Nashville. He counseled me through many things. He has been a brother through very difficult times. When we're together, we just pick right back up. I probably either talk to or email my 3 college roommates at least once a week. Those guys have remained my closest friends. We've seen each other through a lot--good and bad. My heart has been heavy for the Baileys over the last month. It was so great to see him and hear how God is working. What a blessing we have in the family of God. (that sounds kind of corny, but how else can you say it? It really is amazing.)

Tonight we sing for the Christian Student Center at MTSU--a huge university outside Nashville. This is our 3rd year to do this welcome back to school party. The first time I went, I had really low expectations. I don't know why. I was completely BLOWN away! It has been a highlight of my summer ever since. Those students pack the place and their passion is hard to describe. They are just extremely on fire for Jesus. It should be a great night.

Father, God, thank you for family. Thank you for my aunt Ruby who loved you and was faithful to you. Thank you for her spry attitude. Thank you for making her ornery. Thank you for the splinters she pulled out of my feet over the years (not very carefully, I might add). Thank you for the way she loved my father and my family. Thank you for Frankie who has taken such great care of her for the last 10+ years. Thank you, Lord, for that cemetery. Such a beautiful place of peace. Thank you for the heritage that it represents to me. Thank you that the grave is NOT the end.

Thank you for family like Stephen and so many others who are siblings in Christ to me. Praise your name for filling my life with these who have been your voice, arms, and legs for me over the years. I am truly blessed.

6 comments:

Beaner said...

I can't wait for the Zoe Conference this year - it'll be a fun game to count how many people are using the "creamed corn" reference! It makes me crack up every time I see someone new using it, and since we're all connected via the Web, you know it's going GLOBAL!

JD said...

I do not know what the creamed corn reference is, but I gather that it is not a happy thing. I would try to guess or think on it a while and figure it out ... but I'm afraid of what I might conjure up.

Mae said...

Can I just say that I am so proud to be in the mix of a man who can not only coin the term "creamed corn", but also use the words "vacillating" and "serendipitous" all in one post(those are Ph.D. words my friend)! Ahh, the amazement of BST's brain!
On a random side note, one of my best friends (Tricia Freeze Jamison) thought it was funny that her sister-in-law (Jill Samuels (?) Freeze) sang w/ you and some others from DLU and that we had the blog connection. Yep, the world's connected by 7 people, maybe less w/ the bloggin'! Don't you just love random, useless little tidbits of information?

Mae said...

Can I just say that I am so proud to be in the mix of a man who can not only coin the term "creamed corn", but also use the words "vacillating" and "serendipitous" all in one post(those are Ph.D. words my friend)! Ahh, the amazement of BST's brain!
On a random side note, one of my best friends (Tricia Freeze Jamison) thought it was funny that her sister-in-law (Jill Samuels (?) Freeze) sang w/ you and some others from DLU and that we had the blog connection. Yep, the world's connected by 7 people, maybe less w/ the bloggin'! Don't you just love random, useless little tidbits of information?

Mae said...

Especially when they are posted twice? The blogwart strikes again...

SG said...

Karrie, Was I one of the four? "Creamed corn" is just one of the many phrases I can credit to Mr. BST!
I am looking for a picture I have of you and Stephen from the senate retreat our Jr year. If I find it I will post it or send it to you... You guys have been through much! I remember Stephen had this tape out our Freshman year and I thought he would be the next Garth Brooks! I wonder if I still have that tape? You guys are both so talented. Tell him I said HI!