Thursday, July 08, 2004

What a week! All papers are signed, all colors picked out, all fixtures, carpet, fireplace, everything. This is a 2-3 week process that we have expedited in 2--yes, TWO--days. My mom is officially moving here and will be in her new house by December. They will start building in the next two weeks. She'll be in Abilene until then. We are really excited for her and she is really pumped. I haven't seen her this excited in a long time.

So, in other news, our kitchen almost burned down yesterday. Now, when I say that, I realize that my tendencies toward sarcasm and overstatement might cause you to think I am exaggerating. In this case, it's true. We even made the radio stations. "U-Turn Lavern" announced a house fire on our street during rush hour yesterday. Apparently, some grease caught fire and the flames billowed up over the microwave above the stove. Sheryl was going to attempt to throw the pan out the door but it was too hot and she dropped it on the kitchen floor (hardwood). The big rug in the center of our kitchen caught fire and so did the hardwood near the dishwasher--and some of the exterior of the dishwasher itself. Needless to say, it was a mess. The nice firemen helped blow the soot out with giant fans. For those of you who know me (us) you know this is par for the course. This is my life--full of craziness. Nothing has changed. The important thing is no one was hurt. Sheryl handles times of crisis like that so--SO--much better than I do. How I managed to marry such a level headed woman continues to astound me.

We're getting closer on the recording. More mixing stuff, packaging is coming together, and copyright issues seem under control. I am looking forward to this release. I had a friend call who was on vacation in Scottsdale, AR who went in a Christian Bookstore out there and heard ZOE being played over the store system. It was cool to hear about that. We just continue to pray that the Lord will use these to bless people and further the Kingdom.

Maddie and I sang "I Love You Lord" last night. Admittedly, I don't enjoy singing it much anymore because it's been sung to death for years. However, when Maddie said "I don't know what that means" and I got to explain the song, it brought such joy to my heart. I feel a renewed energy today to make my offering to the Lord a sweet sound. I'm so thankful that when He sees me He sees Jesus as my Great High Priest. There's no melody or work or offering I could give that could in any way compare to what's already been done--paid for--signed, and sealed. I am so grateful. I want my actions and life to reflect it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brandon, Your comment about your friend hearing a Zoe song on the radio in Arizona made me think of something I'd like to share with you.....My husband and I were on the list for the early release of the "Live" album, especially since we were there at the Paramount! We were so excited when, not one, but TWO CD's came in the mail! One that we had ordered and one to share with someone unfamiliar with your work and who might could be ministered to by Zoe. Well, our daughter, Katie Riggs, is in Perth, Australia this summer with a mission team. So, we mailed it to her to share with a special family that she thought would really be blessed by hearing it! So, perhaps soon, someone will be in a store in Australia and hear Zoe playing! Praise God from Whom all blessings flow! ~Debbie

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Debbie-
That's way cool! I am scheduled to go to Australia next summer to minister with a couple of churches. She's laying the foundation! Thanks for sharing.

Matt Elliott said...

Here's my "brush with greatness" ~

I went to Freed-Hardeman with "U-Turn Laverne" -- Laverne Wilson & I did college radio together. It worked out a little better for her as a career move. :-)

Glad you guys are okay and no one was hurt! From this point on, I recommend eating take-out for every meal. We can't have anything happening to Sheryl and the kids.

Oh -- or you, either, Brandon.

Tim Castle said...

I never cook without a fire extinguisher handy. Usually, one of my children or my wife grabs it in self-defense anytime I get close to the stove, but that's not the point.

They never complain, though, when I make "the best macaroni and cheese in the world," according to my daughter. Usually, they're just glad to not have PBJ's again.

SG said...

For some reason ever since I read your post earlier a constant chorus of Talking Heads "Burning Down the House" keeps rattling through my head! Make it stop.

Seriously, I am so glad no one was hurt. Didn't you also have a bad burn scare this year while cooking? If you can't stand the heat....

I think Sheryl deerves a week of takeout/going out. You don't want her tramatized by returning to the scene to early! Blessing to you!

I am ready for Ms. Judy to get back. I miss her daily words.

Clarissa said...

Abbreviation for Arizona is AZ. All this time I thought you meant Arkansas. How clueless am I. Then realized Arkansas would be "over there" not "out there".