Sunday, July 25, 2004

Reflections from a day spent at Kentucky Kingdom...

Yesterday we took a short family trip to Louisville, KY to Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. It wasn't far and was well worth the trip. Our kids had the time of their lives! Ella, who was really too young to remember much of Disney World last January really got into it this time! She rode her first roller coaster. It amazes me how these two girls love the thrill of the rides. They really don't seem to have any fear.

Out of the big balloon ride, the carousel, the Flying Dutchman, the swings, the airplanes, and the trucks, I'd have to say my favorite was the junior roller coaster. (we didn't make it to any of the big boy rides.) When we asked Maddie, however, what her favorite ride was from the day, she answered as her father's daughter... "The shows". We saw the Rock n Roll show twice. Lots of live music, dancing, etc. It was a really good theme park show. I've seen a million and was pretty impressed. More on that in a minute.

Now, it must be said, I have never smelled so much b.o. in all my life. At one point, I was sitting on this ride and the man in front of me had his hands up and I literally thought I was going to pass out. Hello?? Deodorant, people?! This is Kentucky, not Europe. Wait, what am I saying? Of course! It's Kentucky.

We've been trying to loosely follow the South Beach diet which, yesterday, turned into more of a Gulf Shores diet. Nasty corndogs, french fries, cotton candy, coke, whoppers, etc. I'm sure that's on a diet somewhere.

Now, back to the show. I have to admit that it brought back so many memories. Mostly good. I spent a year performing at Six Flags Over Texas. It was back in the day of Six Flags Show Productions which was the production company that did all the Six Flags shows for 20 years. (There's a new one these days.) I remember growing up watching those shows as we went to Six Flags and thinking how fun it would be to do one. It's not easy to be cast. I remember the audition process. The dancing--humiliating. I remember my first job there in the Crazy Horse Saloon. I did a live country show with 3 other people. It was a blast. The music was all really fun and hip. It was the dawn of the "new country" era. Steve Wariner, Little Texas, Marty Stuart, Wynona, etc. It was a great show to be a part of. I remember moving to the Southern Palace. I remember how intimidated I was by the theater at first. I remember how it felt to finally have dressings rooms that were a little more private (geez). I remember the endless rehearsals for that show. I'm telling you--we earned every penny we made. With doing 4-5 shows a day all week, it was a tough schedule. I remember the show that closed the park. We danced and sang outside at the front of the park on these huge 3 story boxes wrapped like Christmas presents. Being afraid of heights, I just kept praying that I wouldn't fall off. I remember the "groupies". Yes...there was this sad group of people who would buy season passes and some to every single show. Every day. They would write us letters, buy us things, stalk us. It was plain ol' weird.

Seeing the show yesterday reminded me of a really difficult time in my life when I was finding my way, going from wanting desperately to be a witness in a dark world to doubting even my own faith. Those were important times in my 20's. Maybe the most intense was performing for Norwegian Cruise Line and being stuck out in the ocean for almost a year questioning, feeling lonely, finding God all over again. (The Experiencing God Bible Study had just come out and a dear friend sent it to me. I mark the reading of that with my journey back to the heart of God.) I made some great friends. I got to see parts of this world I never would have seen. It was an incredible professional performing experience. It was a time of growing up and discovering what was important to me, spiritually and professionally.

It's weird how a day at Kentucky Kingdom can bring about such feelings and emotions. Maddie wanted to go up and meet the performers after the show. They were children. Am I that old now? Good grief! Overall, it was a day of fun for everyone. Sheryl and I agreed that the most fun was watching our kids have fun. Those smiles--if I could bottle them, I would. How precious! These days are to be savored and enjoyed--making the most of every minute.

This morning we are talking about vision. I've got a great team. I am looking forward to leading. I pray your day is full of joy and love. May the Lord bless your time this morning




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leave Gulf Shores alone... it's all some of us have. Kentucky you may have.

Kelly Vaughn said...

Brandon,
Greetings from Africa! After several long days of ministry, I got a chance to slip off to the internet cafe 45 minutes from our house. I enjoyed remembering the Six Flags Crazy Horse and Southern Palace gigs! Loved watching you in those...does that make me a groupie???? Come to think of it...I do love ZOE, too...oh my gosh, I am a groupie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first date with Kelly was at SixFlags Holiday in the Park opening weekend in 1993...sharing hot chocolate and french fries, I think we fell for each other!
RV