Friday, July 30, 2004

Things I've learned in the past 24 hours:

1. Prayers really make a difference. There's been a major break through it seems with Aaron and Laney in Phoenix. As John Kerry would say (insert shiver here), "Help is on the way!"

2. There's no way to make a hard day better like eating at P. F. Chang's. I admit, I am in a stage right now where I don't like taking our kids to restaurants. Period. However, there's something about Chang's--maybe the dim lighting, maybe the sedative we give them before hand, not sure. It was awesome last night. Mmmmm. Lettuce wraps and Chang's spicey chicken!

3. I am a closeted reality show junkie. However, there's no show any more dumb than Big Brother or Fear Factor. Please.

4. Having a potential Vice President with a bundle of personality and a John Ritter face does not make John Kerry's sweating and foaming at the mouth any more appealing. Has anyone seen the old movie, Broadcast News? It made me think of that. I also used to have a professor in college (no names to protect the innocent foamers) who had that nasty foamy stuff gather in the corners of his mouth. Eventually, it would slide toward the front and end up stringing from top to bottom lip with every phrase. My gag reflex was in full bloom. You're welcome.

5. The best thing I heard out of Kerry's mouth last night went something like this..."we as Americans need to not think of God being on OUR side, but we need to try to be on GOD'S side."  He had some other good things to say, foamy as it may have been.

6. Why does every politician think the thumbs-up wave is the best way to go? I mean, couldn't someone try something new...maybe like the Wiggles? A little point and cheesy wiggle might do some good. You never know.

7. When cracking an egg in preparation for scrambling, be sure not to  A: crack too hard or B: not be wearing socks. Because in my case A+B= egg yolk running between the toes. You're welcome again.

8. When planning a date night for you and your spouse, be sure to go to the CORRECT restaurant this time where the gift card will actually work. We're giving it one more shot tonight after carefully studying the gift card!

9. When my Ella takes her passy out to kiss Bear (our very lovable dog) and then offers those same lips to me for a kiss...always take it. Also, as Maddie very plainly points out, "Bear's not a bear, she's a dog."

10. I am a man in desperate need of God's filling and guidance. I will never cease in needing that.
Have a great weekend, everyone! Please pray for us as we travel to Birmingham. I am excited about that time. I'm using some of my buddy, Rob Thomas's, awesome--AWESOME--DVDs. They are incredibly impactful. If you're a worship minister or any minister, for that matter, you need to check these out. ZOE Worship and Igniter Videos. Love on your family this weekend. Treasure the time together.


12 comments:

Mae said...

Re: #6... Can you really see a president "get ready to wiggle"? Too funny, if John Kerry, Dubya, or even plad shirt waerer Alexander (hey, what ever happened to his plad walk across America, or was it only TN?) doing a Dorothy the Dinosar or that Pirate guy immitation it'd be all over! Americans would head Night of the Living dead style from the ground to go vote for the best "Wiggler"!
Have a wonderful time in B'ham.

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

As a fan of Jo Jo's Circus (on in my town right after the Wiggles), I would vote for Kerry or W to do the "dinky dance"! Whenever I see that episode with Tyler in the mornings as I get ready for work, I walk around all day singing the song. Fortunately for my co-workers I don't do the dinky dance - just sing about it.

(Insert singing voice here) "Hey John Kerry/George W. - watta ya say? We all want to know what you learned today..." Wish that's how a politician would get introduced at their convention!!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I whole-heartedly agree. I love Jo Jo and the dinky dance. Not sure I want to see either of them doing that though. (Insert your favorite Clinton joke here)

On that point though...does anyone else notice how no one in the political realm seems to ever want to share something they've LEARNED? It's as if they've always known or have the ability to fix EVERY problem in America. It gets ridiculous, in my opinion.

On second thought, maybe we do need a little dinky dance.

Anonymous said...

Man, Alabama's the place to be this weekend! It's seems like a lot going on there. Acappella is in the state somewhere tonight, Keith Lancaster will be leading worship on Sunday, and ZOE will be leading at a conference. Good grief... Anyone got a plane ticket for cheap? ;-)
-JP

Anonymous said...

Okay - you've stepped on Gulf Shores and now Big Brother... if I hear anything about Fat Mo's, the Amazing Race or anything tied to ESPN you are going down. Meanwhile, grab a napkin and dab the side of your mouth... just in case.

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

Love the line last night (and we will likely hear it again with W in August), "Let me give you specifics... When I become President I will make sure every child has a place to go after school and feel safe". Specifics? Every child - let's be real... If that was specific, then what was everything else?

SG said...

Thanks Donny... I have been walking around singing " Hey Kerry What do you say, We all want to know what you learned today" Of corse I think I know wha he has learned... Old $$ (even if it is not really yours) can buy a nomination AND spin doctors are amazing people. Off to dust and sing more JOJO!

Matt Elliott said...

Okay -- everybody raise your hand if you've seen the Wiggles live in concert! Okay, um ... am I the only one with my hand raised?

Guys?

Guys???

SG said...

Yeah, I am proud to say the most money I have ever paid to see any concert was for THE WIGGLES last summer in Grand Prairie. Toot toot chuga chuga Big red car!

Jeff said...

Brandon--Dwight's "right hand man" on the worship team at Northside here. In response to 7/29, very excited to hear that the master is done and those CDs will soon be ready, especially for those of us who ordered advance copies! With your comment about your wife's singing, though, I was wondering if there are other tracks with solo work on them? Dwight and our group love the solos on Ancient Future, but we're a bit chary of using them (except for Communion) because we're uncertain of our congregation's possible objections to "performance" over "worship." The congregational version of the one song (perhaps on the "Fire" CD?) is a big help. What can worship teams who deal with this issue expect from the new CD, and, if you have confronted this issue, how did your church deal with it?

Mae said...

"Fruit salad, yummy yummy..." I know all these silly songs and I'm not even a mom yet (not b/c I sit around and watch Disney or Noggin, but b/c I was a nanny for one glorious year)! So sad, off to dust, vaccum, clean toilets, and think of my own verses to "Big Red Car".
"Spaghetti, spaghetti, spaghetti!" or "basketti, basketti, basketti" as my little charges used to sing at the top of their lungs while I was preparing oh-so-nutritional 'Basketti-ohs'.

SG said...

AND by the way thanks for the PL reminder. I always thought he was a Doonesbury Cartoon come to life! He and Kerry do favor eachother. Oh please don't say we have to look at this guy for 4 to 8 years! Oh Well! What was that about God and the nations?