Wednesday, March 07, 2007

One thing Leonard Sweet talked about last weekend that has stuck with me has to do with the "Perfect Storm". He compared that concept to where we are in today’s post-modern (or whatever term you want to use) culture. He asked the question, "Where is the most dangerous place to be in a storm?" The answer is, hugging the dock. As we saw in Katrina, those ships were destroyed, and may I point out, also created devastation of their own.

No, ironically, the safest place to be in a storm is actually IN the storm--riding it out. Our church families have GOT to quit hugging shore. We need to be willing to risk, willing to do something radical for Jesus. I see lots of people at Otter Creek taking risks for Jesus and it fuels me! I need more of that in my own life.

Another thing Sweet suggested is that we do way too much whining. He compared our trials (mainly from a church perspective) to the weather. Who can change the weather? It is what it is! He suggested that instead of complaining to God...we should dive in, ride the waves, hands in the air and when arriving on land exclaim, "Wow, God! What a ride!" I appreciated the sentiment. It has really stuck with me.

I like the idea of risk taking. It’s been something that has always plagued me personally and hasn't always worked out so well. Maybe it’s because I’m designed to do that for the Kingdom of God but have been conditioned over time to be more afraid of that than I should.

Take a risk today. Who’s with me?

5 comments:

Beaner said...

I just watched the Nooma video 'Rain' last night, so this was a very timely post this morning! Storms, rain - they've always been here & they'll just keep coming. Thankfully, God IS with us!

Kelley said...

It's in this area that we as a church have failed in so many ways at so many times. God calls on us to lead others to Christ and during a storm we see how is affecting us, much more than how it is an opportunity to be his hands and feet.
Thanks for this post Brandon.

Stephen Bailey said...

I'm still processing some of what Sweet said. Was it just me or was he even better this time around? Great thoughts Brandon.

Thanks for the pictures yesterday of Miss Judy's B-day celebration. I'm so thankful your kids have her so close by and she has them!

Russell said...

I live in a very challenging city in Brazil that never settles for less than my best effort to contextualize Jesus. Without the storms in my life, nothing would ever get done at all! No matter where you are, the storms look best when you run to meet them.

Unknown said...

That's awesome. Gotta love that man- He and Brian really get me thinking. I've been pushing myself off the shore for the last 3 months, it just seems not many people want to go there with you, meaning riding the storm can be lonely.

Hopefully we'll see Leonard back at ZOE in Nashville soon.