Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Ahhhhh, the joys of being back home!! Yesterday was so beautiful in Nashville! I am so thankful for my "family day" especially after being gone for 4 days and not getting to love on my kids.

We allow our girls to collect check marks for chores (and eventually Sam will). When they get enough checks we take them to the dollar tree and let them pick out anything they want (usually no more than $2). I know, we're cheap...but they don't care or know the difference.

Yesterday Ella picked out a bug collector kit! It's so cute! It has a strap so she can wear it around her neck, tongs, and a bug net to help her catch them--see below

We spent almost the entire day outside looking for bugs. I kept thinking to myself, these are sweet days. I'll be remembering this for a long time...keep getting dirty, stay with it as long as she wants to. Finally, she got Sam into the action after he woke up from napping. He's turning into such a little boy (leaving that baby stage).

Ella stayed with the bug collecting even into the late afternoon. She collected MANY worms and as she picked them up with her tongs she would say, "Here you go, Mister Worm, you're going to LOVE your new family!"


Meanwhile, I tried to get Maddie to come hunt for worms and she wouldn't hear of it. She actually said, "I can't, Daddy. I'm too busy building the set." When I asked her what it was she meant she replied, "I'm doing a show in a little while. You can come if you want." The picture below is of her set. Complete with tape (in case something went wrong). I am pretty sure that I am the biggest picture taking dork ever.

She included something for everyone...a little hula-hooping, some jump rope action, reading aloud from her Children's Bible, singing, and a magic trick (seen below)
It was such a fun day of family. Sheryl and I are so blessed. We had so much fun being with our ZOE family and then got to come home and enjoy our own family. Our kids are growing and changing so quickly. I am trying to relish every moment...and even at that, it's lightening fast. This morning I got to sit in the back seat with Ella as they all took me to work. (my car...bless. That's all I can say about that.) She held my hand most of the way.
I do not deserve all the gifts God has showered on me...and I am fully aware. That's why I want to continue to glorify what He's doing. I consider these 4 other people in my house gifts of His mercy. I can never repay Him, but I can sure enjoy the gifts!

3 comments:

Beaner said...

We LOVE those Dollar stores - and we've gone through a number of those bug catchers too! One piece of advice: NEVER let the worms come in the car, but if you DO let them come in the car, please don't forget them! Worms + hot car = vomit-inducing smells!!!

Stephen Bailey said...

We do the dollar store/check mark system too! Love the pictures and the differences between your girls. Isn't that fun?

Jenni said...

maybe Ella will grow up to be some famous bug-studying scientist! so glad she's not afraid to dig in the dirt!