Sunday, June 11, 2006

Today we celebrated the life of Jack Karnes, a quiet, gentle servant of this church. He died Friday.

On the way home from church Maddie questioned me about death...something she's been doing a lot of. I think part of it has always been there after trying to explain where "Poppie" (my dad) is.

"Daddy, what happens when we die?" she asked.

"I'm not sure, honey. But, Jesus knows and so we don't have to worry about it."

"Will I die first or will Bear (our dog)?" she questioned.

"Probably Bear. But, we don't have to worry about it. Most people don't die until they're older...really, really OLD."

Then she asked, "When you die do angels take you to Heaven?"

"I'm not sure," I said. "Maybe they do."

"Well, I think it's more like you just die and then you just wake up and you're there," she said.

"You might be right, honey."

"Daddy, why did Jesus die? Did that cross stick him and hurt him?" she asked.

"Hmmm...well, yes, it did hurt him. It hurt him so much that it killed him, but he died for us," I offered.

"Yes, and he came back to life. How did He do that? Did He just fall on the ground and then get back up?"

"No, they buried him in a cave and then God brought Him back to life."

"Daddy, how did God make us? I mean I know He made us but how did he do it? Was it like painting a picture or something?"

"Wow, what a great question, Maddie!" I said. "It was sort of like when you work with clay--God took dirt and made a man and then he took part of the man and made a woman and they were the first mommy and daddy. Now when He makes people He does it inside the mommy."

"That's really cool, Dad. I went to the 5's class today..."

And that was that. Precious moments. Hopefully, she'll continue to question. Hopefully, I won't always have a quick answer...since I really don't always know. Hopefully, she'll discover the mystery of seeking and believing even when the answers aren't black and white. Hopefully, there will be many more conversations like this one.

5 comments:

Drew Battistelli said...

I really wish I still could question the simple things like she did. I am only 21 and long for a life with less knowledge, less understanding and more faith in the mysterious GREATNESS of Christ our Savior and God our eternal Father.

(sigh)

Beaner said...

My 7-yr. old boy just asked me why God made boys & girls pee out of different body parts. (I'm not ready for THAT yet!!!) I think I told him that mommies' bodies are different because they have to carry a baby inside. I think that bought me some time!!! :)

Phil said...

Kinsey and I had much the same conversation yesterday. I'm glad she's asking the questions, because that means she's thinking about it.

Malia said...

So sweet! Got a little tear in my eye reading that! If that had been Sweetpea asking me those kind of questions I'd probably have starting bawling in the middle of it!

KC said...

I think you are Sheryl are raising such an amazing family and I love that you allow the children to question and explore their interests. I have really enjoyed reading about your children through the last year or so since I came to church. Thanks for many smiles, giggles, and occassional tears.