Friday, June 30, 2006

First things first...go now to Craig's Blog to further enjoy yesterday's post...love you, Stephen!

Last night I had a most enjoyable visit with Phillip Duncan. Sheryl was out on a girls' night and the kids were asleep. Phillip's wife and son are in Alabama at his parents' house so he came over and we laughed for a couple of hours. I was hoarse this morning. I'm grateful that they are back at Otter.

We are planning to go to Smyrna to the fireworks show tomorrow night. It's a great event and a lot less of a headache than the downtown Nashville show if anyone's interested. (Although, there's no Nashville Symphony)

One last thing...a garden story for you...

My dad was always big into gardening. We grew asparagus, peppers, tomatoes, onions, peaches, plums, green beans, even corn at one point. Sheryl's dad is a gardener too. It's no wonder that we both have some degree of it in our blood. However, this is really the first year that we've tried growing anything seriously. We have some huge tomato bushes that are heavy with green tomatoes...I can't wait!! (The first one to ripen was promptly eaten by our dog Bear...a real test in my adoration of her.)

As I planted annuals this year, I kept trying to remember where I had planted bulbs last year. I finally gave up. Since I tend to have a real green thumb at growing weeds, I also found it hard to discern what was weed and what was flower. This one weed looking thing came up and I could not for the life of me decide what it was. I was convinced it was a weed...but decided to wait just in case. It grew, and grew and had a strange stalk. It kept looking like it was going to flower and then it would just turn into another leaf or more stalk. Weird. I just decided to wait and see. Finally, 2 weeks ago a thing resembling a bud of a flower appeared. Here's what the "weed" looked like early this morning...



Sorry if this seems like a cheesy spiritual analogy, but it struck me that sometimes life is like my garden. Sometimes we wait and wait and wait for fruit from a bush we know will bear it and it gets squashed or eaten before it can be used. And...other times people who seem to be "weeds" or rough on the outside end up bringing the most beauty to our garden. It's a good lesson for me to remember.

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love a good visual illustration! Thanks for sharing your "weed" with us! (Oh, dear, that sounded like a drug deal!)

Rick J said...

We have a small hillside that we've dedicated to "wild flowers" native to NorCal. Not sure what the spiritual app might be, but I don't worry much about weeds...

Beaner said...

The fruit/vine/weed analogies are all over the Bible & I love it because it's something I can relate to today (as opposed to being a shepherd!!!)
BTW - that flower is gorgeous!!!

Joel said...

No Stephen, you can't smoke Brandon's weed.

Drew Battistelli said...

the sad thing about the picture of that flower is.. it's alone-

sometimes when all we're given are weeds. that's good enough because those relationships/space sharing teach us so much very precious wisdom.

Kelley said...

I love it when God shows us lessons in the most humble of places! Thanks for sharing your weed/flower!

Drew Battistelli said...

So- can we get a preview list of some songs that y'all will be recording in the studio for the new CD??

Eric Livingston said...

It's a Star Gazer Lilly. Ours are just opening up as well. Unbeknownst to me it is one of my wife's favorite flowers. I'm obviously still learning in the 11th year of marriage.