Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Thank you to those of you who have called or emailed me in response to recent blog entries. I have probably sounded cryptic, jaded, or even just face down. Truth is, some days have really been like that. The thing that really keeps me going is my sincere belief that the spiritual life is a journey. The destination is becoming like Jesus and so we know that we will never lose our humanity or imperfections until we get Home. If you're in a valley right now, the good news is it won't last forever. If you're on a mountain top right now, the same holds true. Life is a journey. There are valleys and peaks, but it's more about how we walk through them and how we choose to camp.

I firmly believe there are things that God is trying to teach me through this. I just need to have the energy to hear Him. Sometimes I believe that even when we don't have the energy to listen, He implants things in our hearts where we can understand them. And then...sometimes you just have to climb off the safari truck that's going 100mph and rest for a while. This is where I am and what I'm considering.

Thanksgiving 1999...Kiki, Lindsey, Sheryl and I set off from Nashville around 7pm heading towards Arkansas. We stopped to get Wendy's and then we laughed and talked for about an hour and a half. At that point it was time to turn off on a smaller road that would carry us the next 3-4 hours across rural Tennessee, Missouri and into northern Arkansas. It had been a long day for everyone--tying up loose ends and trying to get out of town. But, I like driving. I like being in control. :) As we cruised down the highway everyone settled in and it seemed almost in one split second everyone was asleep--almost like narcolepsy! I remember blinking really hard to try and stay awake. The next thing I knew Sheryl was screaming and we were heading off the side of the road. I tried to get control but over compensated and we began to spin on the highway. We took out a road sign and began careening down the embankment toward a fence. We hit this very dense, square pole and the air bags went off. I was in shock, my hand was burning from the airbags. Lindsey who was sitting in the back seat without a seat belt had hit the back of the drivers seat so hard that her front teeth cut through the leather and her teeth we shoved back up into the roof of her mouth. There was blood everywhere. Everyone else was uninjured, thankfully, although extremely shaken. A man who had been driving behind us and saw everything unfold had already called 911. Soon we heard the ambulance. They took Lindsey to the hospital and a VERY gracious man gave up his night before Thanksgiving to come in and perform oral surgery. It was one AWFUL night.

For years after that night as we've traveled back and forth I always get a chill when we come upon that place in the road. I think about how grateful I am that everyone is ok now. I think about the car that was totaled. I think about how completely horrible I felt. I remember trying to go to sleep for days after that and every time I'd start to drift off I'd wake up with a start...remembering what happened when I went to sleep in the car.

Sometimes I think life is like that. We get tired or exhausted and continue on at break-neck speed, expecting to make it through. God created Sabbath for a reason. I have tried to honor that, but don't do a great job. The moral to the car story is...sometimes when you're tired, you must rest. If you don't you could get hurt or even hurt others! Rest is so important. Quieting our hearts is critical. Refueling is essential to the Christian walk--and even more so in ministry.

That's where I am. I'm talking with friends, mentors, and counselors about how best to approach it, but I have become fully aware of my need to not just stop for a bathroom break--but to stop and maybe set up camp for a few weeks. I'm really thankful for the men and women in my life who are speaking words of truth to me and words of encouragement. I am one blessed dude.

I see this time as really important and know that I am learning things--whether seen or not--that will change me for the better along the journey. AND--I am grateful for men like Scott, Steve, Bill, Tim, Stephen, Craig, Chris, Kyle, Jeff, and others who are walking with me. God is good!

11 comments:

Eli Perkins said...

Hey Brandon, thanks for your transparency; you are always inspiring and humble. Your life and ministry means so much to me and so many other people. And I'm sure that you hear well intentioned people all the time saying about your congregation or Zoe, "Have you ever though of doing this? What about that; what else could Zoe do; can we do this on Sunday?" I hope you can retreat from the race soon and take a long sabatical, maybe to the Virgin Islands, or Hawaii, or a shack in the woods, or where ever you need. May God fill you with peace and rest, and may your spirit be rekindled.

Jana said...

Rest, Brandon, REST!!!

Jenni said...

Brandon - yes. I have such a hard time saying no or slowing down and have about hit that wall in my own life where I must do something or risk losing myself and really literally going crazy. I appreciate your honesty and openness here - know that we all love and support you and are anxious for you to be rested and healthy.

Dwiggy444 said...

Brandon,

You continue to be a HUGE inspiration to me. A lot of your impact on my life and my ministry has been because of the work you do through Zoe, but I think that I've been learning from you more and more through your blog and the way you live your life - transparently, loving God and his people and giving everything 110%. We are alike in more ways than you know.

Your post spoke volumes to me today - even as you're trying to puzzle through this on your own and trying to figure out what to do in your own life, you are counseling and leading me and others. You have some amazing gifts Brother!

So anyway - keep on keepin' on. Continue searching and leaning on the friends and family God has blessed you with. And know this - you can be a leader even when you're taking a break and not standing on the front lines, leading the charge. In fact, stepping off the roller coaster to catch your breath might be the best leadership example you could ever give.

Love you Brother! May God richly bless you and your precious family today and in the days ahead.

Mark Lowenstein said...

When we're desperate because we may have forgotten the words or our hearts have grown dim, we sing, "Lord, Have Mercy"!!

Lord, Have Mercy On Us All!!

Anonymous said...

Well, it's about time. I have been reading your blog for over a year now and started praying for you around that time for two reasons:

The first is because you are a man of influence for all the right reasons (because your life really does point people to Christ rather than taking all that glory for yourself - which someone in your ministry position I'm sure is tempted to do).

The second reason is because the first reason makes you such a prime target for Satan. I know you're human, Brandon. No one expects you or Sheryl to be these perfect people (actually, it's your honesty about your imperfections that attracts believers to you!). But I would hate to see Satan get in through a tiny crack and tear down your testimony and life's work (which no one is immune to... We've all been saddened to see adored leaders fall). I know that probably sounds too serious... but I really believe it all starts with small things.

So, since you love God and since you love your family and since you love us... make this rest a priority. If you need to hear this from someone, I give you permission!

SG said...

Yes! If you need to hear it again and again...rest! Honestly friend, your schedule makes my head spin! You are so good at everything you do and there are always so many needs! BUT Rest is a requirement, not an option. It is hard to break with three little kids, a growing, thriving ministry and so many great projects...all incredible blessings, but all take a ton of energy! Just do it! Stop! Break! REST! And if that means you go absent from blog world for a while in addition to many other changes in your life, so be it! We're all pulling for you! :)

Rick J said...

Two thoughts... retreat and renew now... build in times of refreshing later. I'm praying for you, bro.

Brian said...

Brandon, I am sorry things seem like an exhausting uphill climb right now.
I wish I had words of wisdom to offer to try and lighten your load like so many of those that comment here are able to do. I am just a worldly sinner that reads your blog daily that wants you to know that you are in my thoughts. I hope things are better soon.

Anonymous said...

Brandon: I just visited a church on Sunday that talked about honoring the Sabbath. Maybe your Sabbath needs to be more than 1 day in a week. Check out the message notes from 2/26/06 at http://www.baysideonline.com. It's under the Resources tab. We're praying for you!

Darren Duvall said...

Brandon,

You've done more already for Christian ministry than many people do in their lifetimes. If you quit today and never picked up a microphone again, you have already done more than enough and been a tremendous blessing to many lives, mine included.

FWIW, my prescription is for you to take a break. You done good. Even Nolan Ryan had relief pitchers. :)