Thursday, March 23, 2006

Didn't mean to dis on ol' Paula yesterday. I mean, please--we've all got our stuff. How would you like it if all your stuff was in all the magazines and E real life specials? I wouldn't.

So, Sunday. I literally checked every single--EVERY SINGLE--media shout slide except one. And...it just happened to be the squirrely one. We sang "Have Thine Own Way" and somehow a verse from CCLI ended up as the 3rd verse and I had never heard it before in my life. It's not the standard third verse we all know. Well, something happened with formatting (our screens are 16x9--huge--and we have to compensate for it in media shout because the ratios are all screwed up). The last 2 lines of that verse didn't make it to the screen. About half way through this unfamiliar verse the praise team, the church, and I all realized there weren't enough words to finish out the song. What to do? I can honestly say this was a first for me. I could not seem to stop that train. So, I just made up words at the end. I wish I could've had a video of everyone's faces as we realized the lyrics were off and our eyes bugged. What's even funnier...the church sort of went with it. They all mumbled right along with me. Somehow I even managed to make it rhyme. For the love. It was one of those awesomely embarrassing moments!

Sunday we've got a great line up. Sonya Colvert is beginning the morning with a monologue as the Woman at the Well. We've got a wonderful woman sharing who was initially a benevolence call who Doug connected with a woman member here and who is now in recovery. We've got the Igniter DVD, "Lonely People" ready and some other good things. For those of you in worship ministry, if you don't have the entire Igniter DVD series, you are really, really missing out. Last week we used "The Gospel According to Blaine" and people loved it! It's going to be a great Sunday.

But, before that even comes, I Tulsa. I think I'm ready. It's a full weekend. God bless and keep you all.

8 comments:

christine pinson said...

i love that monologue from the woman at the well...if it's the same one...i have one that donna hester did a few times and of course anything she does is glorious...
matt and i wish we could be in tulsa so badly, it sounds like it is going to be wonderful...hainey and i are going with rhcc to sing at the NACC in louisville...too bad we don't get to do that with you guys!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! I laughed outloud at the George Buck thing--forgot about that one. Sheesh. I have got one large foot and one very large mouth.

Deb said...

Poor George ... his last name just cannot handle beginning with too many of the consonants heard in our English language. Have you gone through the list? It's pretty limited.

Oh, dear, I am laughing so hard I am crying and can hardly type!!!!!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

yeah--you should have been there...if you're thinking it couldnb't actually be all that bad...think again. I made it as plain as possible. Basically, I am a retard. At least I know it! :)

Malia said...

I must have missed George Buck day, too bad, it sounds priceless!

D.J. said...

What a funny story!

I do the MediaShout at the Manhattan Church, and when we first started using it, we had similar issues with the CCLI lyrics we imported. I found I was spending far too much time making sure their lyrics matched what we are use to, so now I prefer to manually type in the words to songs we don't already have in our database. Works for me.

Keith Brenton said...

Sounds like you need some sort of anamorphic lens to change your projection to that 16x9 ratio ...

We use EasyWorship (I would love to have MediaShout instead) and I end up typing in new songs from the book rather than using the CCLI database, too. It's time-consuming, but safer.

songbirdintl said...

I laughed at this post! We all have those moments don't we? I love it when the audience goes along though!