Sunday, March 26, 2006

Tulsa was amazing. I have many stories. Many. I will post some pictures and tell more about the event itself on Tuesday. The event was fantastic and Max and Bob were incredible...not to mention Mike on Sat morning. Working with Mike is like driving an old familiar road back to the home where you grew up. It just feels right.

Now for the other stories...

First of all, we had a hilarious "international themed" trip out. I can't even go there. But it was hilarious, complete with the completely terrifying flight attendant on the commuter jet. The man was of international flavor and never blinked. He had these wild eyes that just made you want to take a parachute and jump for it. Jason does a great impression.

Then there was the shower at the hotel. I couldn't figure out why the conditioner was so dense when I was showering and why it wouldn't seem to rinse out. Finally, as I was trying to fix my hair and it looked like that episode of Seinfeld where they all had flat hair due to the lack of water pressure I decided to check the conditioner bottle. Turned out to be body lotion. Brilliant.

Our driver got lost driving us to the fair grounds and so our sound check was really late and to a house full of people (nearly 6000). For the love.

The opening 30 minute worship time was ok--but just felt a little off for some reason. I wish we had had more time to settle. But, once the 7pm hour hit and we went into the Max Lucado/Bob Russell time, it seemed to come together a little more. Max and Bob absolutely hit it out of the park. It was a historical night and I am SO thankful I got to be there.

The Saturday morning time with Mike was, as I mentioned, so wonderful and so familiar. I love getting to work with him and am so thankful for my brother.

After the Saturday morning time, we crashed Greg Taylor's family reunion luncheon. I was walking with my plate towards the table when a woman asked me if my name was Brandon. I knew immediately when I looked at her who she was. Arlene and I had gone to camp together a couple of summers and then one or two retreats. She and Holly Sanders were some of my big buds in high school. Arlene's claim to fame was that she went to her prom with Matthew Conaughey. No lie. Anyway--I hadn't seen her in almost 20 years. We lost contact after she went to Harding and I went to ACU. It was the CRAZIEST moment! So surreal. How can we be this old? Her husband, Shawn, was the nicest guy. I felt like I had known him for years too. They have 4 beautiful children. What a blessing!

We flew home and on our layover in Memphis we got to watch the very sad defeat of TX by LSU. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

On the last leg of our flight, I was seated next to two returning Spring-Breaking high school seniors. Ugh. Here's a conversation that took place next to me.

HS girl 1: I wanna know how the pilot, like, knows where he's going when it's dark or when he's above the clouds and can't, like, see the ground.

HS girl 2: I think he, like, uses a compass or something.

Brandon: (inward groan wishing for a number of people...namely Stephen Bailey...to be sitting next to me witnessing this.)

We made it home safely and Sheryl had already left for her beach vacation. I have the girls til Wed and she took Sam. Mr. Mom is my name.

This morning was so amazing. Doug did great, Sonya's monologue as the woman at the well was fantastic, Angela shared perfectly and from her heart about her recovery from drugs and alcohol, and the response time with the shepherd's and wives was moving. It was a great day to be at the Creek.

This afternoon I took Maddie to a birthday party and Lea Brown took Ella to play. (Ella and Lea are birds of a feather and they adore each other.) The girls collapsed into bed and I haven't heard a peep from them. Ahhhhhhh. Rest for all.

14 comments:

CL said...

BST,
Sounds like Tulsa was awesome.
Oh, the HS girls conversation. Well, four words for you, welcome to my world. Ha! Rest my brother!

julie said...

Brandon, I love your sense of humor!!! The body lotion in the hair was hysterical...I know at the time it was frustrating but you really made me laugh. And I loved the the high school girls conversation...I can just hear them.

Drew Battistelli said...

Thank you! Tulsa was great. Hopefully you can return and share the ZOE ministry heart with more people. The crowd was tough, but God worked and overcame the unfamiliar songs.

I thoroughly enjoyed the time from Wednesday night setting up sound and lights with Free Indeed for 7 hours to being the only one clapping during the bridge of Days of Elijah to Saturday Morning where Mike amazed me once again. All the way to Walling convicting me twice, who would have guess that man can do that, haha! To finally riding home in a camper with a wonderful shepherd, his wife and some worship team members and a baby.

Thank you for the ministry you shared at Tulsa, next year we wanna see your wife there!

Candy said...

Really great post, Brandon. But what I clued in on was Otter Creek's service yesterday. Sounds amazing. Sonja and Angela - wow. woman at the well and reality. Great combination.

JD said...

Zoe was such a wonderful encouragement to me. My son is 16 and he LOVES what you guys do. When he heard that you were leading worship that night, he was so excited. I love it that he loves you guys, if you understand what I mean. I called my mother in New Orleans during that sound check and let her listen to you ... she has never heard you guys before. So I'm glad it was a late sound check! Anyway, thanks for all you do. I was looking for you but never did get to meet you personally. I hope this will not be your last visit to Tulsa Workshop.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brandon! I loved getting to see you too! Check your e-mail at church~I found a great pic! :)
Blessings~Arlene

Anonymous said...

Brandon,
Only you---the lotion story--hysterical!!! So glad Tulsa was a blessing for you ... and sounds like sooo many others. I hope it is a good week with the girls. I have been praying.
Love you,
MaryAnn

Malia said...

I so hope you have a picture of your hair styled by body lotion!

Matt Warren said...

Brandon, you guys were awesome Friday night, God used Zoe in mighty ways. Keep doin' what ya do, even when you have to deal with creepy flight attendants and less than genius high school girls. Ha! Hope you guys will be at the Workshop next year.

Stephen Bailey said...

HS girl 2: I think he, like, uses a compass or something.

HS girl 1: Yeah, that's awesome! Hey, what is that smell.

HS girl 2: Don't look now, but I think that old man with the limp hair like, over did it with the body lotion!

HS girl 1: Gu-ross!

Beaner said...

Have you ever been to homestarrunner.com? They do a hilarious bit with the Teen Girl Squad!

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Thomas
Let's talk about the "Woman at the Well" adaptation at OC Sunday. Very risky. Tell me, is a woman of such repute welcome in your believers community-specifically OC? How would you treat her if she indeed were there Sunday? What would you say to her?

Before you answer, I was there for the very first time, and I WAS THIRSTY.

PRAISE GOD,SUNDAY, OTTER CREEK GAVE ME A SIP.

Matt Warren said...

Yep, that was me. I understand about the chaos thing, there were only thousands of people there, ha.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Anonymous--
I am SO GLAD you were there and I am so glad you found some water. The irony is, in churches you can encounter about every kind of person which is good and bad. My fear is that when the truly thirsty come they won't bump into those who are ready to offer something to drink. Sometimes when broken people get together, brokenness keeps them from emptying themselves. I'm so thankful that you encountered something different than that! Please come back! And...please introduce yourself to me if you feel comfortable doing so. I'd really like to meet you. :)