Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I've started this blog entry several times today. Each time concluded with delete all. Not much to say except that things here are incredibly busy as we look to our grand opening weekend and our very first Sunday in the sanctuary. I'm feeling the stress of the tech sheets that need filling out, lighting cues that need work, the projectors and screens that aren't even functioning yet, the drum kit for Sunday morning (just seeing if you're really paying attention), and the rehearsals that need to happen between now and then. It's a busy week. And that's pretty much all I can say.

Life Group was good Sunday night. We had some very difficult discussions. But it made me so grateful that I have community with those people. You know...when it comes to hurting people, or those we like to put in the "sinner" box, it's a lot easier to categorize them or formulate policies about them unless you've really been there. I have firm beliefs. I have black and white opinions...although the longer I live, I find are being molded into the big ones instead of the little ones. But, when you see how hurtful some churches or Christians can be to people who are already hurting, it makes things so much more complicated to me. I feel like the church, in general (meaning most churches out there), is good about reacting...but not as great at prevention. I long for the day when instead of formulating policies about what the "offenders" have to do to make things right and coming up with a list of hoops to jump through, we spend our energy teaching the CHURCH what to do in those situations and how to love people through hard times. Seems like an ounce of prevention and love is worth a...well, you know.

Just some thoughts today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to give you some hope in the church, there was a time early in my marriage when my husband, who was a youth minister at the time hit rock bottom. He had been living a double life and it all came out. The church and especially the leadership was supportive, loving, and at the same time showed tough love. They are a big reason why my husband is still a faithful Christian and a minister today.

Deb said...

Yo, Brandon!

I just recently pitched a new fun-filled family game called 'Spot the Sinner' to Christian Chronicle. A great venue for playing this could possibly be those home cell groups.

Hang in there ... we sanguines always taste more dust when we get kicked down. Ya just wish that it wouldn't have to happen so much in a community of Believers, eh? I get really weary of hearing the excuse 'But we are just human'. (I know, patience is a virtue, but why do I have to be patient ALL the time?!?)

Love ya!