Thursday, February 23, 2006

WHEW!!!! We're home! No--I didn't have access to a computer while we were there. I barely had access to my brain.

Our trip began in complete chaos. We got to the airport at 5am last Saturday and it was mass hysteria. Snow, ice, flights delayed and automatically re-booked with kids on different flights, etc. Somehow, by an act of God, we all made it on the 6:10 flight. After hours sitting on runways in Nashville and Dallas while de-icing, we made it to Abilene around 4pm or so. UGH!

Sing Song was incredible--one of the best Sing Song shows I've seen in a long time. But it will forever go down as a night of scandal. Let's just put it this way--the judges results got screwed up and wrong results were announced. But--they came back and righted it and all's well that ends well. They had the ex Sing Song hosts come on stage at the end since it was the 50th year. After the show some of us got together for photo ops. Pictured left to right are: Cindy Mullican, John Scott Davis, Sharon Hickey, Denalyn Lucado (Max's wife), BST and Martha Kate Stallings Gunn. MK and I were hosts together. Her dad is Gene Stallings, former coach of the Alabama football team.

The week was great. We had such a great time with the Lorenzes and got to see Brooke and Brady more than we have in recent visits. (Brooke is pictured here. She's been a little sister to me our entire lives.)It was so fun singing with old friends like Kellie Curtis Miller, Stephen Bailey and John Scott Davis. Craig Fisher even drove in for a night and we got to hang out and share some deep stuff.

It is always crazy traveling with kids, but everyone did a great job. I wish I could have seen more old friends and done more "Abilene" activities, but overall it was a wonderful trip.

I got to see Russell Heil. It was so great to get to hug him and look him in the eye. Oh my goodness, those girls are beautiful! We're still praying for them and will continue for a long time.

Here's a pic of the Zoe's! We had a great time together!

Now, back in my office, glad to be home in Nashville and ready to tackle some new things. I think I needed to get away for a few days and clear my head. Stephen and Craig were a tremendous help in that too. (Missed you, Chris!) I'll be more on schedule with blogging now.

13 comments:

Jenni said...

Glad your travels were safe - it was great to see you, if only for a minute!

megs said...

agreed. it was good to see you, brandon. i would have come to see you again, but i got sick and stayed home for a few days. much love to you. glad you're safe.

Peggy N Texas said...

It was so good to finally meet you! Sorry it was at a time (the airport) when it was harried for you and your sweet, sweet family.

Lectures were great and your group added so much to it. Of course, visiting with my bestest friend, Gina is the best part of any visit to Abilene.

Maybe next time I will get to meet Sam and the girls! Again, you guys added so much and I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for what you do for worship to the Lord.

BTW, I did meet a new friend in Lainey, Eric's daughter. Say hi to her from Peggy when you see her again!

Beaner said...

Pleas tell me you weren't wearing a velvet suit in that picture w/Brooke! It looks velvet to me.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

there is a difference between a velvet suit and a velvet jacket--and YES it was a velvet jacket. They probably don't have those in Illinois.

julie said...

Brandon, so good to get to hug you. Still praying for you and yours.

SG said...

MK said you had a great time and could have got in trouble for cracking up on stage together...some things never change. Poor Siggies! Still wondering how that could have happened.I thought about you getting stuck in airports with all the "freezing fog" last Saturday. Glad you are all home safe!

Kelly Vaughn said...

Love seeing those pictures. What fun that would have been to see all those hosts and hostesses.

You didn't tell US who won Sing Song?

-Randy

Beaner said...

But does your jacket have a picture of Elvis painted on the back????

Matt McBryde said...

BST-
You don't know me, but I share an office with Mr. Stephen Bailey. I am the youth minister at Lake Cities Church of Christ and I was at Lectureship this past week. I thought you guys did a great job and I have heard a lot of good/fun things about times with Senor Bailey.
Nothing new to say, just thought I would drop a line and tell you I thought ya'll did great. Stephen had a great time.

In Him,
M@
Matt McBryde
Youth Minister - Lake Cities Church of Christ.

SG said...

Randy~ You and Kelly will be happy to know that your clubs both Gamma Sigs and Siggies won...and the Freshmen class. But Siggies didn't know they won until almost everyone had left because they announced it wrong at the end of Saturday night's performance.

Hoots Musings said...

My poor Alpha Kai daugher and co-director has finally stopped crying. LOL

There is always next year.

Sing Song was just awesome, one of the best I have seen.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

the thing was...Siggies were the best act of the entire night--no question, hands-down. Their arrangement was smooth, their vocals were executed with perfection and their show was really entertaining. It was an AWESOME show. Having said that...there was no way that they shouldn't have won first...but when the results were announced and they didn't even place, the judges knew something was amiss. I feel for those who were in charge. Mistakes happen. I mean, people, it's Sing Song...not the Iran Contra. Apparently, some really tacky things were said to Kendall, the Sing Song director. It's unfortunate. But what was most unfortunate was that they were said not by 19 year olds but by their parents. Sheesh.

GSP was the rightful winner too. Their arrangement went to 8 parts at one point. it was really awesome. Galaxy was good too, just didn't pull it off vocally Saturday night as well as GSP. In my experience judging, the rightful winner gets the high marks. Some years I've scored Galaxy realy high and GSP low, other years it's been opposite. Like I wrote...all's well that ends well. The rightful winners won.
Here's one more thought while I'm vomiting thoughts...with regard to womens clubs and Sing Song...when the song is written so blasted high that the melody is screeching, it will never sound good--in my opinion. Siggies have won consistently over the last few years because of the strength of their arrangement, the knowledge of their directors and their accuracy with pitch.

Alpha Kai blew me away! I could not believe they were so strong!! They had a great show--not as good as Siggies, but definitely deserved 2nd place. I was really proud and excited for them. I also was proud of the way they seemed to handle the awards issue. The students were the ones who seemed to keep things in perspective. Too bad some of the parents didn't.

Sorry for rambling...just wanted to share my perspective on the show. It was a FANTASTIC show. The hosts/hostesses were really awesome and the acts were some of the best I've seen in years--YEARS! Way to go Kendall and everyone on the Sing Song production staff!!