Thursday, May 13, 2004

Rehearsal went well last night. We have a rough arrangement down of "All Who Are Thirsty" and "Hear Our Praises". Besides those two we can record "For All You've Done (O Cleanser)" and "Your Grace Still Amazes Me" and be on our way.

Next week will be pretty full. We record with ZOE on Monday and Tuesday nights, I have the Emergent Conference during the day and then I am organizing singers and singing for an Integrity Music recording session on Thursday and Friday. (with my buddy, John Chisum) THEN--Friday night I leave for our family beach vacation. Wooo-Hooo!!

This weekend we are having a Benefit for the Wayne Reed Daycare Center. About 7 years ago Otter Creek built a daycare in inner city Nashville to help struggling families. This the BBQ will include some fun entertainment. The Gatlins will be here. We're singing something with Larry Gatlin at some point--should be interesting. The musicians, some of which were Hee-Haw Staples (now, there's a resume bullet point) are going to smoke! (not cigarettes--we hope) There will be jazz, country, the Orange Blossom Special, and lots more fun.

I wrote recently that the Pastor of the Shepherd of the Hills Church talked about Church being a Spiritual Spa for many people. The more I have thought about that, the truer it seems to me. For some, the church is like a hospital (which is a good thing). For others, the church is like basic training. It's this segment of folks who might be termed "Metro-Spiritual" (forgive me) who seem to be missing the point. When we adopt the cruise ship, or spa mentality, it automatically causes us to begin to navel gaze. We begin to want things the way we like them. It becomes about us...which activities best suit our liking...which massage we ask for...etc. We become about image instead of transformation. We want to be nice and "white washed" but are still dead on the inside. While that's not true for everyone, I fear it's true for more than we'd like to admit. I have been there. I know what that feels like and how exhausting it can be. Just some thoughts rolling around in my head.

Sheryl's sister, Gail, comes in tomorrow for the Women of Faith conference here in Nashville. (call us conference central) I am so thrilled that Sheryl will get to go this weekend. I think it will be a needed break and filling for her. Meanwhile, I will have the girls. Our big outing Saturday will be to Abby Cox's birthday party.

Father, thank you for leading us like a Shepherd. Thank you for your rod and staff. Thank you for your healing power. Please be with the Creech family today as they deal with learning that Julia has Cystic Fibrosis. They are such encouragers, Lord. Please strengthen them today. Some things just don't make sense, God. But, we have chosen to trust You, no matter what we face. Be their strong tower today. Praise Your name for adopting us as your children and caring for us.


No comments: