Friday, May 28, 2004

3 things today--

First, I have added some links. There's a picture section of family and ZOE, there's a link to my mom's new blog (quite the accomplished writer), and a link to Clint Lagerberg's web site. Clint wrote "For All You've Done" (O Cleanser of the mess...) and played guitar on that cut on Point of Grace's new record due out this fall. He's a great guy. Check out his site.

Second, last night Maddie and I were doing our typical nightly routine. We sat in her chair in her room and as I scratched her back we said our prayers. I've started trying to help her with some direction as we pray--which has only added to the sweetness and hilarity. I'll say something like, "Ok, now let's think of people we want to pray for or who we're thankful for." She'll pray for anyone and everyone. Then I might say, "Ok, now let's think about things God has given us that we would like to thank Him for." Last night she immediately replied with "thumbs!!" So, we thanked God for thumbs. After thumbs we went on to thank God for faces, necks, windows, beds, etc. In the middle of this Maddie looked at me and said, "What is a shepherd?" (I've been saying the 23rd Psalm with her every night but it's been over a week since we've done it--amazing what sticks in kids' heads!) I tried to explain that a shepherd is someone who takes care of things. I said that "like Mommy and Daddy take care of you and Ella and feed you and hug you and protect you and show you how to do things--that's what God does for all of us and that's one way He is like a shepherd." As soon as I had finished saying that Maddie said, "I like that." We then said the first part of the 23rd Psalm and talked about what it means. Maybe I am crazy, but it really seemed like she understood. What a cool moment. You can't buy moments like that. I have dreamed all my life of what it would be like to be a dad. Moments like that one are dream fulfilling for me. Thank you, God for the gift of children!

And, lastly, quite possibly THE funniest funeral story I have ever heard, and I have heard quite a few. Rubel was doing a funeral last week and had a humorous interaction with one of the relatives. The relative was giving him a hard time about his cell phone and predicting it would go off during the funeral. Rubel was determined not to let that happen and had his mind one it as he went back to talk to the sound man. The family wanted a song played at the end of the funeral--the woman's favorite song, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Rubel gave the CD to the sound man with instructions on which track to play. The funeral went well, without a hitch. The end came and it was time for the song. The sound man pushed play. Unfortunately, the track he played was not "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Can you guess what it was??? Yep... "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead".

I howled laughing. I told this to a group of singers this morning right as we were about to sing in a funeral. Stories like that always help lighten the mood. You watch...this will become the next Urban Legend (but--it's true. You heard it here!!!) Maybe you have heard some funny stories like that one you'd like to share--click "comment" below and share them with us.

Have a great Friday and Memorial Day Weekend, everyone. Blessings on you and your families.

1 comment:

RPorche said...

Now THAT made me cackle! What a great story!