Thursday, May 27, 2004

I know it's faulty logic, but one would think that the actual car dealer would be cheaper than some random mechanic because the things they need would be at their fingertips. Clearly, car dealerships do not follow my line of logic. The very nice, random mechanic is charging us considerably less. This means we only have to sell one of our children instead of both.

This morning we had a staff intreat. We played a fun get to know you type game and then began to talk visioning. The get to know you game consisted of 3 questions. Here are the questions and answers...maybe you'd like to comment on what your answers would have been.
1. Earliest memory?
--Mine is at my 2nd birthday party. I have a distinct memory of my great grandmother being there. I remember the cake (the perfect yellow smiley face cake. After all, it was 1971) and the table and the people around me.

2. Most notable accomplishment that people might not know about?
--I had a pig named "Wilbur" who I showed as a 4-H project in 4th grade. He was awarded Grand Champion Hog. (From pigs to cruise ships...such a sordid past)

3. Last book you've read?
--Bare Naked Truth (I picked this up at the Emergent Conference)

Anyway, if you feel like sharing, post some of your answers below.

We talked visioning for the last bit of the morning. As we go into this huge fund raising campaign over the coming months for our building project, it's important that we know where we are headed. I have found myself completely conflicted in many of these discussions. It's weird to feel a lack of certainty, especially when you're in leadership. Is this the best thing? Is this the right choice? Have we been faithful in the little things? Will everything become money centered? Do I have the energy to tell people to give money to something that I am not completely convinced of myself?

When I boil it all down, the biggest benefit I see in this move is the potential to impact culture inside and outside of Otter Creek. I think there could be some really exciting things happen in that regard. We need space. We need classrooms. We need parking. We need a building that isn't 50 years old. But...those things only slightly get my passions going. The thought of starting afresh and being able to speak to things in our Family of Faith that aren't even related to $$ is the most exciting part of all this. My biggest fear, however, is that we will lose sight of those things and our time and energies will be eaten up by fundraising. I beg the Lord to shield us from that.

And, finally, two words...Fantasia Barrino!!! I was excited for her last night. Why is it that someone who has fought through difficulties and who allows her scars to enhance her "presence" captures peoples' hearts so quickly? Is it because we hunger for authenticity? Is it because we all, deep down, like to root for the underdog? Is it because those "scars" really do enhance her performance and give her an edge over other contestants? Maybe it's all of the above. The interesting thing to me is that while we may agree that those things are true in music or the world in general, we certainly don't practice that in church work. Ministers seem to do anything to protect themselves from allowing weakness to show. (I guess most everyone does--whether people of faith or not.) I know I am guilty of that almost every day. I just wish we all had a little more Fantasia in us. The genuine, no pretense, raw qualities we see in her might help us speak to those who have decided to close the door on faith, or even more so, the church.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still think LaToya London was robbed.

Ron said...

Dude - What a talent - Fantasia!!!

First memory - I can't even tell you how old I was... It was at least two years before Kindergarten and I remember looking for my mom outside by the side of the old house in Long Beach.. not much else - just a flash.
Notable accomplishment - The marching youth band that I co-founded in '84 was invited to march in the Hollywood Christmas parade in '92. I marched with them. :-)
Last book - My presssscious.... The Lord of the Rings. (I missss my hobbittses)

If you keep your focus on God, you can do immeasurably more than all you ask or imagine, accroding to HIS power that is at work within you...

judy thomas said...

I remember walking down a sandy country road in the shinnery near Anson, Texas carrying a basket of food to a neighbor--I was about 4 and barefoot.

You may not know that I went to state in debate in high school--I guess that shows up in my personality today. We didn't win, but it was a great ride!

Last book I read: The Good Earth. No, I didn't read it in high school, and I wish I hadn't read it last week--a real downer. But it did deserve the Pulitzer Pearl Buck was a feminist before the word was coined--a person I admire.

Jason Retherford said...

Brandon,

I wanted to write a note of thanks for your blog. I have enjoyed reading your posts, and seeing your heart, and catching even a glimpse of your passion for Jesus. Keep blogging!

Rob said...

Earliest Memory: destroying the inside of a door with a hammer because my mom had gone outside and if I could just knock loud enough, she could hear me... I was right at three.

Notable Accomplishment: Watching BST as a Junior Scholar thinking, "He wants to make a living doing what?"

Book: Just started Religious Experience in Earliest Christianity by Luke Timothy Johnson

julie said...

Brandon, I love that you are sharing real life with us. Thanks for your honesty.
My earliest memory...2 years old walking home from the pool with my mom. I had a hole in my bathing suit and found that very distressing.
The last book I have read...The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory.
grace, Julie

Jenni said...

Brandon,

Thanks for sharing your heart with the world....I continue to love ZOE and hearing you share here makes the distance between Dallas and Nashville seem much smaller.

Earliest memory: going fishing in Colorado when I was 2-ish (or maybe I'm trying to remember it because I love the pictures so much!)

Most notable accomplishment: high school valedictorian - it is so hard to believe that it has been 10 years already!!

Latest book: Atonement Child by Francine Rivers

Tim Castle said...

Earliest memory: Looking down the hill next to the house we were living in just outside of San Bernardino, to yell to my dad and older brother that dinner was ready. I myst have been 3 or 4.

Most notable accomplishment: I was in Pepperdine's Singing Travelers from '84 to '86. It's either that or having the lead in Li'l Abner my senior year in high school.

Last book: That I've completed? Fresh Power by Jim Cybmala. I've got about 3 others I'm working on slowly, none as relevant. I'm reading the 5th Harry Potter book to my son, and reading the Mitford series by Jan Karon with my wife. I'm also reading Star Wars novels and computer references for fun. (Yes, I'm a geek, what of it?)

julie said...

I am sorry but I lied to all of you. The last book I read was The Awakening by Kate Chopin. I read at least a book a week and sometimes can't remember what the last one was. Julie