Saturday, May 15, 2004

Last night went exceptionally well with the girls. I kept wanting ask who they were and what they had done with my children. They were nothing short of angelic--saying "please" and "thank you" to me and to EACH OTHER. They even hugged and kissed in the bath tub. Seriously, a blessing from God! They really are amazing kids. (Every parent thinks this, I know) They are sweet natured, kind, and funny. They were just extra amazing last night.

Life lesson # 10,234...never, NEVER attempt to open your new electric toothbrush package while going to the bathroom. Let's just say, I spent several minutes sanitizing. Disgusting.

This morning I continued to clean while the girls played. Around 10:30 we got dressed and went out to Walgreens to do a little birthday shopping for Abby Cox. (paints, play dough, coloring books, etc.) We made it to McDonalds by 10:30 and planted there for the next two hours. Perfect place! Our kids love to play on the indoor playground there. A dad walked in with his two kids and we exchanged knowing looks. He sat behind us and I heard him pray for the food with his kids. I turned around and asked him if he were on Daddy duty all day or just for lunch. We ended up having a nice conversation about fatherhood, faith, Jesus and other stuff. I was glad to have met him.

I also ran into Tonja and Steven Lowry. I went to high school with them in Abilene. Too wild! They have lived here for four years and we haven't really seen each other at all. Steven is finishing his medical degree and they are moving back to Abilene in a few weeks where he will be on staff at Hendrick Hospital. Pretty neat seeing them. High school...man! 16 years since graduation. I keep up with only a hand full of people from those days. It was cool seeing Tonja and Steven and remembering what they were like (I was a Senior and they were Freshmen).

The girls are asleep--HALLELUJAH! I just can't get over how wonderful this time with them has been. Thank you, Lord!

I just got a call about our mini-van. (True story--I traded in my Chrysler Sebring convertible for this mini van a couple of years ago. I inherited the Blazer and Sheryl drives the mini-van. It was a hard pill to swallow.) We left it at the shop yesterday because the brakes were squealing. Looks like it requires about $220 worth of work. I should have become a mechanic. Ugh!

Next thing on the agenda is Abby Cox's party. Cake, party favors, ice cream--and that's not even to mention the stuff for the kids. :) I admit...I love to go to birthday parties. In fact, one of the absolute dorkiest statements I ever made in High School was when this guy who was new to our school asked me over lunch if I partied. I immediately replied, "uh...well, I like birthday parties." I wish I had his expression on film somewhere.

Thank You, Lord, for the beauty of this life. Thank you for the all over warmth I feel when my girls hug me and won't let go. Thank you for the joy I feel when I hear them laughing with each other. Thank you for the satisfaction I feel when I see Sheryl's hard work being such a great Mommy paying off in the way the girls treat each other. Thank you for naps, birthday cake, McDonalds french fries, old friends, new friends and for being in all of it. You are Abba!

1 comment:

Clarissa said...

One word for you: Oversharing ... (been looking for a chance to let that describe someone else for a change.)