Sunday, May 16, 2004

The fog here this morning is very thick. It's a shame because it's causing the wonderful smell of the cooking ribs outside to be less potent. They've been cooking all night in preparation for the benefit this afternoon.

The girls were elated to see Sheryl. It was a great reunion. Gail came over later and stayed with us last night. It was nice getting to talk with her for a while. They were both feeling exhausted from having taken in so much over the weekend at the Women of Faith conference.

This afternoon we have rehearsal with ZOE for the recording this week. John Mays will be with us. I still think it's funny sometimes that we're working with him. He's such a legend...but such a regular guy. He recently played me the new Point Of Grace record (I think it comes out late summer, if I am not mistaken) that he is producing. It is very different from their old stuff--a lot more edgy and current. I was blown away at some of the vocals. Since Leigh joined the group they have another power vocalist in there. It makes a huge difference.

Some Sundays I try to remember what it felt like to just get up and come to church with everyone else. It's been so long that it's difficult to remember how it felt. Sundays represent something different for me now. It's the day when things need to come together. It's a day filled with a certain amount of heaviness. There's a burden to ministry. It's supposed to be there--it may be easy and light, but it's still a burden. Coming into mornings like this I think about faces and hearts that will enter this building today. Some will come in excited and ready to worship. Some will bring a lot of disappointments, fears and doubts. Some will come praying that no one will see how they're really doing, while others come praying that someone WILL see how they're really doing and ask. It's a messy job, this ministry thing. Meanwhile, realizing my own weakness and human failings, I am called to stand and lead God's people in worship. It makes sense when you consider what we are studying today. Isaiah 40. No matter what we are, where we've come from, what we believe or don't believe, or how modern or post modern we may be, God is still God and we are but a blade of grass. There is one thing that can draw us together--the love of Christ. Christ's love COMPELS us. I like that. I find truth in that statement. How else can you describe it? Thank You for the cross, Lord. Thank You for the nail pierced hands, for bearing the weight of my sin, and for setting me free.

No comments: