Monday, May 10, 2004

It's hard to sum up the last week in one blog so I will try and break it down into digestible segments. Overall, it was a wonderful week of ministry and fellowship. Listed below are some bullet points of memorable moments.

--flights to and from California with two children under the age of three...praise God for community! Thanks to everyone we knew and didn't know for being family to our children.

--Having Kim (Sheryl's cousin) with us to help with the girls--PRAISE GOD for Kim!

--Having a wife who is not only drop dead gorgeous and can sing more soulfully than most anyone, but who also keeps a cool head about her while our children feel sick and throw the occasional tantrum. How did I rate her??

--Ella going out with two ear infections. Maddie going to the Malibu Clinic on Wednesday with two ear infections. (pretty rough week for them in some ways--but totally fun in others. Maddie calls ZOE her friends.)

--Tuesday and Thursday late nights--powerful ministry times for us. I felt better about those nights than many of the past years. It felt less like we were whipping people into a worship frenzy and more like we were actually engaged in ministry. Thursday night the daughter of our friend, Joe Smith, (Laney) spoke about losing her father. It was incredible. INCREDIBLE! I truly believe Laney is gifted in a very unique way. Remember her name. It wouldn't surprise me if one day she was leading the charge for Christ in our country.

--Mike Cope's class...as wonderfully funny and heart touching as always. It's a joy to work with Mike. John York rocked on Friday too. And--Lex and Avery were amazing on tech!

--Spending the mornings down in the little community of Malibu where there are shops and a little playground (many star sightings here every year--Pamela Anderson, Brad and Jennifer Pitt, etc. My star sighting this year at this location was "Booger" from Revenge of the Nerds. Yes, I saw it. Didn't most every guy in the 80's?)

--Laughing non-stop at Jason McArthur and his witty jokes and "spanglish".

--The sacred stairwell at Smothers Auditorium where we rehearse every day.

--Having Chuck and Laura Rathbun (Sheryl's brother and his wife) at the lectures

--Getting to see old friends like Ryan and Sarah Williamson, Aaron, Russ, Hainey and the Richland Hills gang, Sandra and Lex, the Tarbets, Joel Soliday, the McCoy Family from Abilene whom I dearly love, Laney Smith, Lee Ann Giddens, and many other Pepperdine friends.

--The fateful trip to Santa Monica with the family, Kim and JV. Maddie screamed in the van most of the way down the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) and back. I am not sure JV has fully recovered.

--Short, but meaningful visits with people like Tim Castle, Jack Reese, Aaron Gin-Forsburg, Peter Wilson, Mike, Colin McCall, Bert Reynolds and others. (Lots of hi-bye type conversations, but these went below the surface--something for which I am always grateful.)

--Going to Zuma Beach (Point Dune) and seeing Jennifer Aniston. (Ok, so it was a great moment--give me a break!) She was doing a film shoot and we got to watch a little bit of it.

--Finding out my trip to minister in Australia and go to the Hillsongs Conference next summer looks like it is a go! Possibly with Chris Seidman. Too fun!

--Seeing people engage in worship--really engage. I don't mean all looking the same either. Some were standing with hands in the air, others in more contemplative posture--but most all engaged.

--Getting to go back to the beach with Ryan and Sarah and the ZOE members with kids. Ella was hilarious. She was running full out towards the waves. Maddie has a sand phobia and would have none of it! So amazing to see their different personalities.

The Weekend

--We stayed at a very nice hotel, thanks to the record label. The girls went down easily Saturday night while we sang at the first two services at the Shepherd of the Hills Church.

--The services (3 more on Sunday--5 in all) went very well. We were well received and felt very welcomed. The staff we met were all so nice and sincere. The people (1200 at each of the 5 services) of the church were so excited about being there and seemed to really be in community. They had their kids choir helping to lead worship so after we sang some, the band hit the downbeat and rocked out with songs like "Every Move I Make", and "Forever". It was a blast! (check out the Otter Creek web page for a picture later this week... www.ottercreek.org)

--One funny moment during the first service Saturday night...Some of us went out to sit in the congregation. I sat next to Jason and only mid way through did we realize that there was this HUGE dog at our feet. (A guide dog in training) It looked like an afgan or something. We realized it when he raised his enormous head and looked at us. We almost yelled, it was so surprising. He then settled in on Jason's feet after licking his shoe for a while. Guess he's not really trained yet.

--Hearing "Pastor Dudley" speak on community and the church. It was really awesome. He was this real hip, down to earth minister who talked about his frustration with people who say things like "I love Jesus, I just hate the Church." He said that was like going up to someone and saying, "I like you, but your body is just awful" or "I like you, I just can't stand your wife." I thought that was pretty powerful. I think some are quick to judge the Church based on its effectiveness or other things while forgetting that it's still the bride of Christ--warts and all. (I have been one of those people)

--Having a wonderful Mother's Day celebrating my wife--the incredible mother (and wife) she is, and thanking God that my own mom is alive and well and such an amazing servant in the Kingdom. They are both Godly mothers and I am blessed by their examples.

--Flying home. HOME!!! Towards the end of the flight when Maddie had reached her end, all Sheryl, Kim and I could do was look at each other and laugh.

--And finally, making it through the week with voice in tact. PRAISE YOU, LORD!!! That was a huge answered prayer.

Today we slept in. Maddie and I took in a movie this afternoon ("Home On The Range"--so fun!). Later we all met up at Paul and Jill's so Maddie, Mack, Ella and Champ could play. I thought Maddie was going to go through the windshield--she was so excited to see Mack. It's fun to enjoy friendship and even more fun to watch our children begin to enjoy it.

Tonight the kids are in bed, the clothes are being washed, and I am thankful for a very FULL week. God was very present this week. I felt His power more than I have in a while. I am so grateful to be doing what I do. It's weeks like this past one that make me remember that.

Nite nite!



No comments: