Wednesday, November 16, 2005


Today was a much better day at Kirkpatrick. I brought the kids some Thanksgiving suckers with turkeys and things on them and Mr. Adams let me distribute them and then we talked about their plans for the holiday. (click on the picture for a larger, better resolution picture.)

I also asked them what their favorite Thanksgiving food was. There were some great comments! It made me really hungry! Mashed potatoes, collard greens, sweet potato pie, turkey, dressing, chicken...you could see their eyes sparkle. Most of them were headed to their Granny's or an "aunties" house.

They were also working on a writing exercise..."Someone I Admire". It was touching to read what they were writing. One said talked about her Granny writing that she was always on her side. One talked about her mom writing that she protected her from danger. It was good to be with them again.

Preston Shipp re-wrote the lyrics to Days of Elijah. It's tongue in cheek and a little sarcastic, but sometimes sarcasm is a good thing. It's a mirror in some ways. I thought this was great...

These are the Days of Indulgence
Of selfishness, apathy, and greed
And these are the days of indifference
Ignoring the millions in need

And though these are days of prosperity
We have more than we'll ever need
Still children in Africa and downtown are hungry
If we love Jesus, His sheep we must feed

Chorus:
Behold He comes
Homeless like before
Eating with addicts
Hanging out with whores
Give away your stuff
It's the year of Jubilee
If we die to ourselves
Salvation comes

These are the days of great comfort
And living in rich neighborhoods
We kneel to the idols placed before us
Like any American would

And though Jesus warned us of riches
We don't think He meant what he said
So rich people put fish on the backs of their cars
But He had no place to lay His head

(Repeat chorus)

I drove up in my Lexus (x 4)
There's no car like my Bimmer (x 4)
There's no watch like my Rolex (x 4)
I hope it tells time in heaven (x 4)


These are some good thoughts as we enter the coming month. Good and convicting!

Rehearsal tonight for Christmas and then rehearsal after that for the Ryman. Also--if anyone's interested, I have a few tickets at reduced rate to the Radio City Christmas show at Opryland on December 22nd. We're doing a little pre-show thing that night. If anyone around this area wants to come and wants reduced rate tickets, please let me know.

Have a great day!

8 comments:

Craig said...

I want free tickets.

Anonymous said...

What I really love about that picture of you with the kids is what is written on the board behind you..."no fighting, no cussing, no name calling, etc. It looks like the teacher did an acceptable vs. non-acceptable behaviors activity...always a good thing for kids that age! Very funny.

Anonymous said...

I hope you got permission from all those parents before posting their child's photo on the web....

courtney said...

Oh, there's always the kid that HAS to do the bunny ears. ;)

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

I agree with Kendra, even though I don't know you, although I am from Abilene....
I am a teacher, and obviously it's probably fine considering the teacher is the one taking the picture. I mean, I think he/she would be "wise" to not take the picture if there were kids that didn't sign the publicity photo release form. Believe me, I have a stack of them sitting right next to me in my file cabinet.....
And, again, the anonymous blogger....
Brandon, I think it is SOOO cool that you do this! Those kids probably think you are the "krunkest" person in the world. I assume you've heard that word...or better yet, maybe you should use it next time you go hang out with them. Believe me, it will be a hit! My kids tell me all the time that they are going to make me a "ghetto dictionary" so I can be "down" with the lingo...

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

I don't know Preston Shipp but I hope that he does not rely on any of the "Fat Rich Cats" to provide his salary. I agree one should not flaunt their riches but someone has to pay for all the wonderful relief efforts and mission trips. We can't all be teachers and missionaries, some of us have to be support people who stay in the background and provide financial and spiritual support. They are not necessarily mutually exclusive!

Phil said...

I won't speak for Preston, but I don't think the song is chiding people for being rich. I think it's about being showy in the riches. Of course ministries and mission trips have to be funded, but why wear a Rolex when a Timex tells time just as well?

Jana said...

Well said, Phil.