Wednesday, November 02, 2005

It's already been a really interesting day and it's only about half over. I had lunch at Rocket Town today. Michael W. Smith founded this place back in the early 90's but it's since moved downtown and is one of the coolest places around. People from all over the world come to take notes on how to engage the youth culture in their cities.

Honestly, I was too in awe to take many photos so I had to take a couple on my way out. I was late and in a hurry. This is the entrance.



Even as kids walk in they get the sense that this is not a typical hang out. It's edgy, cool, urban, and all the things that appeal to that group.

There is a concert venue inside that holds about 1400 people (standing) with some of the coolest lighting and sound stuff I've seen in Nashville. There are smaller venues downstairs where local bands can play and kids can hang out. There's a computer lab that looks more like a Starbucks. There's a coffee bar and an amazing hang-out area with tables, couches and chairs and lots of TVs and media type things. Downstairs there's also a dance room where kids take ballet and hip hop classes after school.

But the most amazing thing of all is the skate board park. It's inside and is complete with a bowl and ramps all over the place. It's truly incredible.

The kids they are looking to impact and have already hugely impacted are the "disenfranchised" kids. They look different, they talk different, they dress different, they may be pierced or tattooed. They don't fit in to most of our churches. And, based on a dream of Smitty's from years ago, Rocket Town in making a difference in their lives. It was fantastic.

About 20 of us sat at lunch while Smitty and others talked about Rocket Town and their dreams for the future. It made me so excited. I wish we had bethought to ask someone from Rocket Town to come and speak at the ZOE Conference. It would have been perfect!

Afterwards, I left hurriedly to drive over to Kirkpatrick Elementary. I'm the "classroom dad" for this inner-city 4th grade class. They are hilarious. Mercedes informed me that she used to be a TV star. But could never get through it without cracking up. Antonio wanted to arm wrestle. But it was time for Social Studies and writing down facts about the North American Indians. So, we spent some time working on that and Math. Great kids. I know they will bless me WAY more than I will them.

Tonight we resume rehearsals for our Christmas show. I know it will come together, but every single time we do something like this there's about a 2 week period where I seriously contemplate jumping ship. "It's the most wonderful time of the year"...someone once sang. True dat. Just gotta remember not to make it the most stressful time of the year. I am working on my New Year's resolution...something like "Be more about the business of REducing stress not INducing it." Oy. From my lips to your ears, O God!

11 comments:

Shanta said...

BST- I thought we were supposed to be less busy in the life after ACU. I'm exhausted reading about your full day! Good luck with rehearsal.. give a shout out to Brad Glisson and Eve Clevenger- fellow DLHS mustangs from another life.

Katey said...

Ok, am I the only one who laughed out loud about 'these kids who look different, are pierced and "tatooted"?'

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

that's not what I meant, dork. I mean...hey, I'M pierced and tatooted. It's just what he said. But compared to many--that is different. Does your mom know you got a tatoo?

Generous Kitchen said...

bst - I'm in the "I'm-in-over-my-head" mode for our Christmas thing, too. I, like you, usually panic for about two weeks and then God finally gets enough and helps me find peace about it all.

Re: the kids, read my blog if you get a chance...similar thoughts...where would Jesus hang out? Probably not much at church.

love you, friend

Anonymous said...

i think she meant that you spelled it "tatooted". as in ta-tooted.

Clarissa said...

Doesn't it have a double t, anyway? Tattooed, tattoo? Bless him. He does the best he can.

Sarah said...

Okay, I will have to get off of the past tense of tatoo -- I have no idea. But I love your New Year's Resolution.

Dr. Jerry Taylor spoke tonight at Southern Hills about "Blessed are the Peacemakers". That made me really wonder how much peace I bring to the people around me.

Anonymous said...

http://rachellerobinson.blogspot.com/2005/11/when-blogs-become-assault-with-deadly.html

Katherine said...

Man, I have always wanted to go to Rocketown-ever since I first heard the song and what it was about!! Maybe someday...that sounds like such an incredible place. Ok, you are seriously on a "Smitty named basis" with Smitty? Jealous. :)

By the way, I am also tatooted.

Anonymous said...

YAY for Rcktwn! BST - did you know that's where I go to church now? I can't remember if we chatted about this or not...Midtown Fellowship meets there on Sunday mornings and is very involved in the other ministries there. I wish I could snag you one Sunday morning to visit with me, but I know that's difficult. Let me know if you ever get a chance though. The Lord is really on the move there. Hope to see ya soon. Surely we'll run into each other at Baja again soon!

Joel said...

Just don't start wearing clothes of multiple fabrics. That's where I draw the line!