Thursday, November 17, 2005

Melt downs happen. I need a bumper sticker saying that. Last night it occurred to me that we are really, really close to our Christmas show with few rehearsals left. I felt a bit stressed. We had to kick it into overdrive. Then I left one rehearsal and went to another. By that point I was done. I had a small, yet meaningful, meltdown. It only took me about 5 minutes to regain my composure, but I did. It's funny the perspective meltdowns give us. When you're living by deadlines--especially in ministry or music--it's easy to allow the deadline to rob you of the joy of the process. Anyway, God reminded me last night that sometimes things just aren't that big of a deal. He gave me a spiritual sedative and I was much better. For the love.

Christmas rehearsal went well. Our show is the weekend of the 17-18th of December. Come join us!

Afterwards, we worked on stuff for the Ryman this Sunday. It's always fun joining Victor and the group from Temple. We're excited for another opportunity to sing together. Join us at the Ryman this Sunday night (November 20th) at 6:30pm.

We fly to TX tomorrow for Geof and Amanda's wedding. I'm standing up with Geof and Sheryl and I are singing too. It'll be such a blessing to be there. My flight gets in at 5:30 Sunday--and the event at the Ryman begins at 6:30...yeah, brilliant. Apparently, I'm going to get to see the backstage entrance. They have a security guard who'll be waiting for me at the back door and Doug Sanders is picking me up at the airport. Since he's the Director of Ministries at OC, I guess God will give him special permission to speed. Driving up the alley and entering the back door will be kind of exciting! It's very Coal Miner's Daughter.

Finally, last night I got what might be one of the coolest birthday gifts EVER. A good friend gave me a belt buckle that's a Civil War relic. It's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It has a US on the front and was found back in the early 80's around the 1st days battle line of the Battle of Nashville. SO COOL! My ACU History prof would love it.

Happy wedding weekend to Geof and Amanda!!
From Psalm 20--
"May the Lord answer you when you are in distress;
may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.
May He send you help from the sanctuary
And grant you support from Zion.
May He give you the desires of your heart
And make all your plans succeed.
We will shout for joy when you are victorious
And will lift up our banners in the name of our God.
May the Lord grant all your requests."

7 comments:

cwinwc said...

Yes “Dorothy,” even those of us involved in ministry hit the melt-down mode. My good friend (the Puckster) who does Bible Camp with me has witnessed many a melt-down after 24 hour a day contact with those interesting creatures we call teens and those even more stressful beings we call adults.

We’ve learned to call time out and go up to the Director’s Pad to cry in our pillows and watch some re-runs of the Andy Griffith Show to recharge our batteries.
afjoxep (rival insurance company)

Beaner said...

Hmmm....not sure if Brandon is more excited about his "I'm-a-celebrity-pick-me-up-and-whisk-me-off-to-my-next-gig" status OR his cool, new belt buckle. Jury's still out.

Gem said...

Hey there! I just found that we have a mutual friend. I was e-mailing a bunch of high school friends, planning our 20th HS reunion andI said we usually go to a worship conference the first or second week in October so I'd like to to be another time. Don Heyen wrote back, asking if it was the ZOE conference and that he went to ACU with you. Small world!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Ouch, Beaner. If you really want to know...it's the belt buckle.

Gem---COOL!!! So you're a Kansas girl? I've even been in Don's house there. He and I were in the same fraternity at ACU. He's a great guy.

JamesG3 said...

It's very Coal Miner's Daughter. ROFL!

Eric Livingston said...

Don't get too excited about that belt buckle, Brandon...

I hear there are a lot of counterfeit CW belt buckle dealers in Franklin!! You'd better ask Brad about its authenticity.

EL
(Brad's bro-in-law)

Brad Crisler said...

EL,you shut up!!
haha
Nobody bothers to fake US stuff!!