Thursday, June 16, 2005

You may recall me mentioning David and Becky Rubio. David is a good friend and on staff with me at OC, and Becky is one of Sheryl's best friends. They are the ones Sheryl organized the "While You Were Out" thing for. A few months back, David experienced a weird virus that attacked his heart. They thought it was pleurisy. He was experiencing some pain over the weekend and went in on Monday to get it checked. The CT scan showed a large mass between his heart and lung in the pleura.

Tuesday night, David sat out on the back porch of The Ross's house. Tony, also and Otter Creeker, is his doctor (and mine too). Tony shared the difficult news with David and told him that this was not a good place to have a growth (is there any good place to have a growth??). No matter whether it is malignant or benign, it must be removed which means a very difficult surgery.

Yesterday morning, David shared this news with the staff. We were shocked and immediately prayed over him. Afterwards, he came in my office and we talked about a lot of stuff...some of which involved how to talk to his 6yr, 5yr, and 6 month old kids about this. YUCK.

Sheryl and I met David and Becky at McDonald's (thanks, Julie, for also coming for a bit. I know you're presence was so encouraging!). As our kids played we just sat and stared at each other not really knowing what to say. Basically, they are in this limbo of being worried and not even knowing the full extent of the problem. That stinks.

Last night after the speaker was through David addressed the church and told them about his condition. As he was speaking, his parents (from Memphis) came in the back door. Fred Ewing came up with the Elders to lay hands on David and Becky and pray for his healing. He called the entire church down. People crowded as close as possible while Fred took some anointing oil and anointed David's head. He said something like, "This oil represents the healing power of Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit that covers you, and this church's commitment to support you through this journey." It was beautiful. I had not seen anyone do it quite like Fred. He rubbed it all over David's forehead, his neck, and even into his hair--giving the visual picture of saturation. It was so very powerful. I can't even type this without crying about it.

David has a biopsy tomorrow. Will you join me in praying for his health? Many of you know David. Pray for him this next week. He and his family moved into the dorm last night at Lipscomb because he is one of the people in charge of the Impact camp there every summer. As he tends to do, he is charging full-steam ahead. Please pray for his strength and for peace for Becky.

14 comments:

christine pinson said...

There is something so beautifully spiritual about the annointing of oil and laying on of hands. I am so thankful to be witnessing a time where we are no longer afraid to admit the power of the Holy Spirit. It is always encouraging to read of the many ways that the family at Otter Creek is forging ahead into the realm of truly and physically experiencing God's power.
I will keep this family in my prayers.
Oh...and by the way...what a little cutie you have on your hands...Sam is precious.

Lauren said...

Brandon,
The Rubios have my prayers as they begin this journey. Thank you for making us aware of this need. My prayer is that you and Sheryl can minister the peace, grace, and love that is needed at this stage. Be blessed as you minister in the power of Jesus.
Lauren Cunningham
Abilene

Fajita said...

Lord, please bring healing to David.

Adam said...

David Rubio is a good man. God uses him in powerful ways. I and my family are praying for him.
AE

John Owens said...

Brandon, thanks for sharing this. David and Becky are very special to me. I will be at Impact, and am glad to know this. I know he will give Impact everything he has, but those of us there also need to give to him.

Matt Elliott said...

SO very sorry to hear this news about David. Will be praying...

Deb said...

Brandon -
A couple of weeks back, I read the OC site ... man, has the church there changed since I was there in the '70's (change is good). I read about each minister, and prayed thanks to God that he is leading such a dynamic group together. I was also mindful of the fact that God has blessed you so much with your heart's desires since you were Maddie's age.

When I got to David's bit, his writing was so inspiring, and I wished that more youth ministers could read what he wrote. Also that more search committees would glean from his sharing what is needed for our youth in today's society. I knew then that God has a special relationship with this young mand and his wife, and is leading them towards great efforts for His cause.

I am so saddened to hear of this devastating news. And yet so thankful that David is in a safe place where he and Becky can live this part of their journey. The anointing is a powerful image, and one that focuses on God's abiding presence at this most difficult of times for this remarkable young man and his family. In some ways I am reminded of what happened to Randy Becton when he was so young, and serving at Minter Lane.

When our Lord's love, guidance, and peace are manifested in the actions of our spiritual family, His healing powers are felt so strongly. I pray that the Rubios will feel this embracing from the arms and hearts of all those God sends their way. May this strength sustain them and carry them far.

You and Sheryl hang in there for them, and continue your love and friendship ... your smiles and laughter, and joy will mean so much. Please don't lose this specialness of spirit God has engulfed you in.

Rick J said...

Our PrayEmail team will be bathing them in prayer.

Anonymous said...

BST...please let David and Becky know that Jenny and I will be in fervent prayer for his healing, and for them to understand the peace that Paul speaks about in Philippians 4.

Steve said...

Praying for the Rubes in Abilene, Texas...

Love those guys.

Clarissa said...

Praying fervently for David and Becky in Alabama. Those who see this, would you pray for my mom, too? She's having a lumpectomy Monday. The doctors (and the lab folks at Vanderbilt) are still not clear on whether or not it's malignant.
Everyone hug your families. Life is fleeting and precious.

Generous Kitchen said...

Praying...

Stephen Bailey said...

What a privelege to pray for David and Becky and their family. I've only met David briefly, but as is so often the case, I feel like I know him through you and Sheryl. I know what the Rubio's mean to you and you know what you mean to me, so you know that I will weep with you as you weep, rejoice with you as you rejoice and pray with you as you pray.
BTW, thanks for your phone message about killing me if I ever get sick. I could feel the love in a weird sort of way and as you know, the weird way is always my favorite way.

Dwiggy444 said...

I'll be praying too. I never thought I'd be counting my blessings this week, but a story like this sure puts things in perspective.