Thursday, June 23, 2005

We had a great night at TGIWednesday. The dinner was awesome--and we had more people than we could fit. The time in the sanctuary began with interviewing some of the kids. I asked them what God's favorite animal was. Nathan Bridges said a giraffe. I asked him why and he thought for a minute and said, "Because it starts with a G!!". Judson Chaudoin spoke up and said he thought God's favorite animal might be an alligator. I asked him why and he said, "Because it starts with a G?" The crowd loved it. I asked them other questions like "What is God's job?" Thomas Link spoke up and said, "To take care of his children". Sweet.

The question I threatened to ask that I would love to have heard these kids comment on was "How does God go to the bathroom?" My better judgment took over and I opted for a different approach. But, come on...you know that would have been funny.

Randy Harris spoke on simplicity--but with a different take. He didn't get into details of how to live simply (which is always ironic to me when people try to give you 100 ways to live simply). He talked about the life that Jesus brings and embracing it and finding ways to take that to a hurting world. It was powerful. So many of our people needed to hear that. It's easy for people in the Bible Belt to think that everyone's a Christian and that the statistics of those losing faith or leaving the church (definitely 2 different things there) only apply to places like Los Angeles or NYC. We need to remember that it's all around us. Randy challenged us to get out of the bubble and take this message to a world of people who are hurting and who may not look anything like us--and who will most definitely make church "messy". If church ISN'T messy, something's wrong. Yeah, you can quote me, Concerned Member.

It challenges me--what about you?

(this blog has been edited by the administrator. If you'd like to see the full content, please e-mail me.)

7 comments:

Keith Brenton said...

I wanted to say that I hoped God would richly bless your friend on the praise team, Brandon ... but it sounds like He already has.

She, in turn - through your blog - has blessed us, as well as those two people God loves.

Thanks for being a channel of that blessing.

c said...

I enjoyed last night myself. Went to visit a friend and got to hear ol' Randy. Scott Owings told me that Don Miller is supposed to be around in August to speak.

As far as the email went....nothing like seeing glimpses of the Kingdom in our world by regular people. as Keith said, thanks for the blessing.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Yes--Donald Miller (Blue Like Jazz) is coming, but we're keeping that under our hat for a little while. He's going to visit with the staff at Otter about how to be more missional and then we'll have some public forum for him to speak where people can come. I'll be posting about it on my blog soon.

believingthomas said...

That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

Stephen Bailey said...

I may need to visit Nash Vegas when Miller comes. Keep me posted.
As you can imagine knowing my situation in Fort Worth, that email resonated deeply with me. It is so difficult to hang in there over time and love your way through all the crap in peoples lives, but so beautiful in the context of our walk. I read about the sheep and the goats in Matthew 25 almost everyday. What we can do is love people as Christ loved us. What we can do is serve others and treat them better than ourselves. What we can do is all we can do until He returns. I see that in God's Holy Word. I read about the 5 steps of salvation in a tract some guy in a bad suit gave me. God bless your friend!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

AS of this afternoon, Jamie is coming Sunday morning. my "friend" also told me that when Jaz heard of the invitation he almost quit his job to be able to come. I pray that the good will he's felt thus far will be furthered and not hindered this weekend.

Tiffany said...

Thank you for sharing that with us, Brandon. I know she has already blessed those men, and I hope that we can do the same for them on Sunday. And everyday after that!

Can I recommend a story for you all to read? On WaiterRant Tuesday, the writer wrote a moving tale about his time in seminary, where the meaning of ministry became real to him. It reminded me a lot of her story.