Friday, June 24, 2005

Thanks for the comments yesterday. I went back on the good advice of a friend and changed their names. That was a good call, man. Looks like "Gary" will be at Otter this Sunday.

After I wrote I was re-reading the chapter in Blue Like Jazz about when he and his college friends set up the "confession booth" during the hedonistic week at their school. When kids came in to laugh at them or see what the heck it was about, the Christians confessed to THEM. They confessed that they loved money too much. They confessed that they knew Jesus loved the poor and the hurting and yet it hadn't made much of a difference in the way they treated people. They confessed that they'd given Jesus a bad name by the things they chose to get upset about. And the result? Tears. Tears fell from the eyes of those who'd been hurt by religious people.

Couldn't we find a way to do that? Couldn't we find a way to fess up that we've screwed up? Of course some will go to their graves defending their "God-given, spiritual right" to judge and withdraw fellowship. Whatever. That makes me want to say a string of curse words. What the world needs to see--as in any relationship--is our vulnerability. What's more vulnerable than laying down your life for someone? That's not just a physical act--it's a life-style and a way of thinking. Are we anywhere near it?? Or, have we pacified ourselves by spewing out religious jargon and proof texts until we've convinced ourselves that we know what we're talking about? I feel pretty strongly about this whole thing. Can you tell?

One of the biggest light bulb things for me over the last couple of years (I'm ashamed to say it's taken that long) is that Jesus calls us into relationship for relationship's sake. Often we "befriend" people with the hopes of getting them in the door of our church (some don't even do this). Once they're there, we can relax cause hey--isn't going to church the same as having a relationship with Christ? Nu-uh.

Jesus calls us to the uncomfortable. He calls us to love even when--and especially when it stretches our comfort zones. Look around you. How many people are you in relationship with who aren't just like you? How have you treated that outcast person you see at work or at the gym? How have you treated the gay man or woman in your office? How have you responded to the alcoholic or drug abusing friend? How have you treated the partying, promiscuous co-worker or family member? Professional kindness? Not enough. How have you treated those who've asked you for money? What strides are we making to develop Christ-breathed relationships with those who are needy, lonely, or hurting? Often they are the very ones we run from.

I may sound belligerent here--99% of this is directed at me. I'm more and more convicted about this in my own life. I'm making strides to take care of this and love like I think Jesus would. I'm so distracted by my own selfishness. I'm often too busy or just don't care. Would you pray for me as I pray for you--that we could really be more committed to sharing the love of Christ with those who need him?

9 comments:

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Ed--you bet, man. What type of thing are you doing?

Jennifer said...

I absolutely loved that chapter in the book. Actually, I loved it all. It really made me re-evaluate myself and my view of christianity. Good stuff. I'm so jealous that Donald Miller is coming to talk with y'all. What a blessing that will be!

Stephen Bailey said...

That would be chapter 11 if I'm not mistaken. It changed me. The story at the beginning of that chapter about the bullseye in Sunday school is also very funny. Reminded me of some of my own Sunday School experiences. Love you boy!

Thurman8er said...

Wierd. I just read that chapter for the first time yesterday. I loved the story about Thad Thatcher and William Wonka. But the confession booth bit wiped me out. Count me among the envious that Miller is coming.

I think there are a lot of us that struggle with this. I find myself nodding my head a LOT when reading or talking about giving Jesus' love and acceptance to all and expecting nothing in return. In practice, it's a whole other thing. I WANT to be Jesus to the world, but the world just pisses me off so much sometimes.

So...deal. I'll pray for you if you pray for me. I want people to come to College because they want to, not because I want them to.

jettybetty said...

That is my fav chapter in that book--and so I agree with what you say in your blog--99% of it was directed at me too!
Blessings!
JB

CL said...

BST, It is so funny that you mentioned that chapter, I actually read that chapter today. Picture me at Six Flags over Georgia waiting for some teens to come off the Scream Machine me reading Blue Like Jazz, a great book, that has really helped put some things in perspective, thanks for the reminder.

SG said...

We drove through Grosbeck today, even stopped and ate lunch at the DQ. I had never been there before. I thought about your Dad and your family and it just so happened my Dad and I were singing along with you and Zoe at the time. So wonderful to think about the legacy Baby Sam has behind and the wonderful future before him! :)

Tony Arnold said...

Brandon, I read this prayer this morning and it is so applicable to Randy's message and the blog discussions here and at Preston's. I posted it there too.

A prayer of St. Francis of Assissi
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is discord, harmony;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy;

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consolded as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.


Tony

Katherine said...

Man, your words just echo what I have been feeling SO heavy on my heart lately-thanks for sharing, and may God bless you as you seek ways to bring Him to this world.

You pray for me-and I'll pray for you!!