Tuesday, October 05, 2004

WOW--thank you so much for the comments yesterday. How very encouraging! I still feel full--yes, tick full. I will never live that down. Sometimes my west Texas farm raising comes out, as you saw Saturday night. I still think it was a good analogy. TICK, TICK, TICK!

Yesterday was spent resting and just enjoying being with family. My mom was still here (she left this morning) and the girls were just so thrilled that we were both home. They are so gorgeous! I know I am biased as their daddy, but I am just so in love with those girls. Actually getting to talk with Sheryl about the weekend and family was great too. I am such a blessed man!


The conference began with a bang with McClaren. How can anyone top McClaren? He was rocking my world. I just wish each of us could sit our entire church down and listen to him talk about that stuff and then discuss. How convicting!! I was especially convicted by the part about us living in our Christian bubbles. If we aren't actively bringing people into the Kingdom of God (which, by the way, doesn't necessarily mean getting them inside the church doors) can we truly call ourselves disciples? Reference the great commission in the end of Matthew.

While McClaren rocked our world in the main hall, the worship leaders' track was doing about the same thing. It began with Stephen being so open about his year. Isn't it incredible how vulnerability breeds that in others?? Satan is so tricky in telling us to keep things to ourselves--don't over share. BUT--the impact of openness is INCREDIBLE! It was only continued by Nino the following day as he so boldly shed light onto dark places while we all looked on. It was POWERFUL. The song he sang over us was a highlight of my entire weekend. Hearing Jeff Nelson read about the struggles these ministers are dealing with, seeing people worship with such passion, overhearing small groups really breaking through the surface stuff and talking deeply, and having some pretty amazing conversations with people over the weekend just made me feel like I was in heaven. The video Saturday night set to "I Can Only Imagine" was the thing that finally broke me emotionally. Seeing pictures of my dad was such a surreal experience. It was so special. Then--seeing Joe Smith's face. It's been such a tough year with his loss.


I am not sure what it was--except the Spirit--but this conference was my favorite one ever. I actually had good quality time with people. One night I got to go to dinner with my friends, Stephen Bailey, Nino Elliott, Val Durrington, Ryan Christian, and my mom. Being with those guys was such a blessing. Such dear friends--all involved in worship now. Honestly, we all sang together in college and to think that so many are now in ministry is so amazing (Chris Seidman was also in our graduating class!)

The time with the ZOE team was extra special this year too. I think we all had a clear sense of God doing something and were just in complete amazement at His work.


I am so grateful for the connection I feel with so many of those who come to ZOE. It's just like a sweet family reunion. I was sorry to see it end.

Now, how to process all that happened, all that McClaren said, all the stories I heard from struggling ministers, and everything God did!! What a glorious time.

Cope and Walling hit it out of the park as usual. Thanks, Mike, for your encouragement. I always love being with you. How great was it to see Diane this time??!! The pic below was of a comedy moment from the weekend. Like Walling and Cope could EVER put any of us to sleep!!


I am now diving into Christmas...yet, convicted to take another look at my schedule and commit to people like "April" out there. The Kingdom of God is so much larger than what we can see. I want to embrace it all.

Have a great week, everyone.

2 comments:

Clarissa said...

Just so you'll know, after every holiday meal I can ever remember with my extended Spurlin family, my Uncle Jere would say he was "as full as a tick". North Alabama. Not limited to West Texas.

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen to everyones comments. I particularly agree that Nino's song 'Absolute Holiness' was a real highlight. Somebody please don't let that song get lost. It needs to be published. TKeys